Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update blocked by Windows 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnaubrey

johnaubrey

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I do not want to change to Windows 10. When I go to Windows Update, the only update presented is "your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready."  Months ago I set my Windows Update to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" in order to prevent the change to Windows 10. For all this time I have not been able to update my Windows 7, and it is starting to malfunction in several ways. Please tell me how I can stop Windows 10 upgrades, and update Windows 7. My operating system is 64-bit and I have Service Pack 1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

Try installing the Update provided by Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3184143/remove-software-related-to-the-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer

Let me know if this solves the problem if not there is another tool you can use.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

SleepyDude:
Thanks for your quick response.

I clicked the link you sent. It went to "Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer". Method 1 would not work because updating is blocked by the Win 10 upgrade as before (see attachment "bleeping 1"), so I used method 2. I downloaded only "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3184143)". This went well,and when restarting I got a message something like "don't turn off your computer, updates in progress", WHICH I HAVE NOT GOTTEN FOR MONTHS, SO I KNOW something UPDATED

But after restart, when I go to Windows Update, I see exactly what I saw before I contacted you (see attachment "bleeping 2"); so it appears to me that routine Windows 7 updating is still blocked.

Thanks,

#4 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

SleepyDude:

Disregard post I sent a minute ago, it was not complete.

I clicked the link you sent. It went to "Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer". Method 1 would not work because updating is blocked by the Win 10 upgrade as before, so I used method 2. I downloaded only "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3184143)". This went well,and when restarting I got a message something like "don't turn off your computer, updates in progress", which I have not gotten for months, so I know SOMETHING updated.

But after restart, when I go to Windows Update, I see exactly what I saw before I contacted you, "your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready". So it appears to me that routine Windows 7 updating is still blocked.

Thanks

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

In that case try GWX Control Panel http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

GWX Control Panel  worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

:thumbup2:

___
Rui

#8 wjjoeckel

wjjoeckel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Go to control panel / uninstall program. On the left panel, click view installed updates. Find KB3035583. Highlight, and uninstall. Restart your computer, and the upgrade request will be gone. I suggest after finishing, you go back to windows update because it will reappear on the list. Right click it, and select hide update. It won't bother you any further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users