Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

housecleaning question: nvbackend packages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

sorry if I'm in the wrong spot.

Moving to the point, I'm trying to clean up my system drive a bit, and noticed that under \users\(accountname)\appdata\local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\Packages\ that I've got some 844MB of stuff sitting there, various DAO.(numbers).exe files, which upon further investigation appear to be selfextracting archives containing heaps of xml files, lua files, translation-list text files, and icon-size images that are presumably for nvidia control panel and nvidia geforce experience to use in their UIs when listing things for optimization/settings customization and so forth. Loads of games, most of which I've never had and some of which I've never even heard of. Various stuff's repeated through the various archives, to the point I get the impression that these are basically a sucessively updated listing.

The question is, can I delete most of these safely? I've had no real luck trying to search for an answer, with search results dominated by stuff relating to people's malware concerns. These... I'm not worried about in that light. I just want to conserve drive space. This pileup of stuff goes all the way back to 2014, and if most of it is identical and/or in deprecated formats (I notice that the exact path structure within the archives isn't the same in the most recent as in the oldest)... Should it be safe to toss, it'll be tossed, but I'd rather not break things trying to find out by stabbing blindly at the issue, and with (search engine of choice) not proving much help, the next step is "make a forum post" and here we are.

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 09 April 2017 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

I would suggest using a program like Should I Remove It to determine if this is something that should not be removed or if it can be removed without effecting the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

that program there is... completely and totally irrelevant, examining it's site. 'tis not a question of "what do I uninstall", but a question of "are these files just nvidia littering or are they actually important to keep?".

a bit further snooping in that general directory path lead me to discover that those DAO.######.exe look to be various revisions of the the \appdata\local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\ directory... of course, the question remains as to whether or not these things, some of which are three years old by now, are things the system expects to find.

finding info about this is like pulling teeth with tweezers.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

'tis not a question of "what do I uninstall", but a question of "are these files just nvidia littering or are they actually important to keep?".

This is exactly why I suggested this program.  You can enter a search for what you are interested in possibly uninstalling to find out if this is something that you can uninstall without effecting any applications you wish to keep.  It will also tell you what that item is and what its function is.  This sounds very much like what you were seeking.  If you are really concerned about having enough free space I would suggest either purchasing an external mass storage device, or replace the current drive with one which will provide you with sufficient storage space.

Perhaps another member will have something "relevant" to suggest.  Obviously diplomacy is not one of your strong suites. Have a great one. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 EugeneFraga

EugeneFraga

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

I agree with the previous reply. 844MB is not space enough to take risks. It's a trifle. Buy an external or replace the current drive! (I replaced my 500GB with a 1TB).

FYI, new drives reduce heat notably.

However, if you NEVER played games on your PC, possibly those files can be deleted.

But the 'Should I Remove It' suggestion is pertinent. Furthermore, I will recommend you to NEVER clean the REGISTER (with CCleaner -the best- or any other). 

THAT IS dangerous. An usual, foolish mistake among PC users. Good day.

Edited by EugeneFraga, 15 April 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#6 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

'tis not a question of "what do I uninstall", but a question of "are these files just nvidia littering or are they actually important to keep?".

This is exactly why I suggested this program.  You can enter a search for what you are interested in possibly uninstalling to find out if this is something that you can uninstall without effecting any applications you wish to keep.  It will also tell you what that item is and what its function is.  This sounds very much like what you were seeking.  If you are really concerned about having enough free space I would suggest either purchasing an external mass storage device, or replace the current drive with one which will provide you with sufficient storage space.

Perhaps another member will have something "relevant" to suggest.  Obviously diplomacy is not one of your strong suites. Have a great one. :thumbup2:

point 1) their site doesn't have -anything- DAO.* in their database listing, suggesting even they don't knwo about it, and it's not things to be uninstalled anyway, as it's not things on the uninstall list in windows.

point 2) giving the OS plenty of breathing room on it's partition is generally important, so yes, I do put some concern into the matter, and a mass storage device is going to do little unless I were to resize my partitions (which shouldn't be the answer to the matter), and I don't store anything on the system partition that doesn't need to be there or can't be made to be kept elsewhere, anyway. (and for what it's worth, I've had two external drives fail on me, so "live" storage is waiting on my affording to put together a RAID to cut my data loss risk)

and no, I cannot claim to be good at diplomacy after the amount of time I've spent getting nowhere trying to get answers to this; I'm more than slightly frustrated.

I agree with the previous reply. 844MB is not space enough to take risks. It's a trifle. Buy an external or replace the current drive! (I replaced my 500GB with a 1TB).

FYI, new drives reduce heat notably.

However, if you NEVER played games on your PC, possibly those files can be deleted.

But the 'Should I Remove It' suggestion is pertinent. Furthermore, I will recommend you to NEVER clean the REGISTER (with CCleaner -the best- or any other). 

THAT IS dangerous. An usual, foolish mistake among PC users. Good day.

・almost a gigabyte is trifling!

I cannot articulate how much this kind of mindset irritates me.  the very mindset that results in hard drives clogged with junk that was needed exactly once and then never again.

and nnnno, that suggestion isn't pertinant, I'm not so daft as to be unable to recognise that much.

perfectly familiar with anti-registry cleaning suggestions - not that they have anything to do with this matter either.

#7 EugeneFraga

EugeneFraga

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

almost a gigabyte is trifling!

I cannot articulate how much this kind of mindset irritates me.  the very mindset that results in hard drives clogged with junk that was needed exactly once and then never again.

You are an old BleepingC User. I'm not. I took (and take) the time to answer because I wanted to help. OK?

Your irritation and obvious aggressiveness maybe is fueled by frustration.

However, since you are an old User, such behaviour ought to be reported to the Admins.

Despite my limited mindset, I practically answered to your puzzle. I reply AGAIN. Read my words. 

If you didn't played games recently or you don't care about gaming, THOSE DARNED FILES CAN BE DELETED.

But you will not game any longer... 

DELETE THEM. At worst, you look experienced enough to do a clean reinstall.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users