Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving header....very annoying

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

I go to a web site to get the latest about IT news and they have this header that will slide down even if I scroll up just a tiny bit, I'm finding it to be very annoying to the point where it's getting so that I can no longer visit this web page. Is there anything I can do on my side to stop this header from sliding  from top to bottom every time I scroll?

I use Firefox v 52.0.2 for my browser with AdBlockPlus, I have do not flash player installed

Edited by Joe C, 09 April 2017 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Two weeks and over 100 views and nothing?

I reckon my best option is to find another web site for my IT news. I really  do not mind a floating header on a web page, it can be convenient. But a header that bounces up and down with every mouse scroll is just too much.

Do y'all like those kinda headers that bounce?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

I hate them.  But it would help if you'd give the URL for the site you're talking about.  There may be a way to eliminate this, but it's impossible to advise in the abstract.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Joe C

Joe C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

My abstract was intentional for a reason...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well,  I have nothing that follows me on the main page of BC.

Of course, I use Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and HTTPS Everywhere add-ons/extensions in all my browsers.

(Except MS-Edge, which I don't use routinely, and when I just did I don't have a floating header on the BC main page there, either.  The page header acts like a dropdown menu and it disappears on its own and tends to stay that way, but I will occasionally get it showing up again, but then it hides itself again, too.)

Edited by britechguy, 23 April 2017 - 04:45 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

If it's written in JavaScript, wasn't there a way in Firefox's settings to stop everything coded in that language and thus eliminate this problem, albeit the page becoming much less responsive?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=firefox+disable+javascript&t=ffnt&ia=web 

~ Lauren Bacall

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

My abstract was intentional for a reason...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

That is just part of the design of the site. I would assume the intent is that the assumption is that if you are scrolling up, you might want to access one of the menus, etc in the header. This might be a false assumption, at least when it comes to your use.

The only way that I found to kind of defeat it is to turn off javascript (as others suggested), but this does not get ride of the header...it just leaves it there permanently at the top of the screen with the content scrolling below it. This might solve your issue if the issue is the appearing and disappearing of the header annoys you. I believe some people recommend disabling javascript for security reasons, but I could wrong. In my case, I was able to easily test it since Safari has a Develop menu that allows me to easily turn on and off javascript without having to dive into the preferences.

The other option would be something like NoScript on Firefox (I use something similar on Safari) and block the specific site that is causing it. I easily figured out which one was causing the appearing/disappearing, but won't say which one it is on the off chance it would get me in trouble (don't know if it would or not). If you want to go that route, you should be able to figure it out by trial and error.

I will admit it is kind of annoying, but not nearly as annoying as some of the new ways ads are done on some websites (I hate the ads that "magically" appears out of now where in the middle of a news story, which then pushes everything down meaning I now have to scroll some more because the stuff I was just reading moved down the page while I was reading it). It helps that I mainly "live" in the forums when I come here and only occasionally read news stories. But, then computers are a hobby, not a living, so keeping up on the latest news about computer security, etc is not an extreme priority for me. I more just like helping other people with computer issues.

Now, we will see if I get in trouble or not...

:grinner:

BTW, you might want to post some feedback to the "suggestion" forum if it really annoys you. I cannot say if that will result in any changes, but it likely would be good to provide some feedback.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/3/bleepingcomputer-announcements-comments-suggestions/

Edited by smax013, 23 April 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#9 Joe C

Joe C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

I am currently using Firefox 53.0.

I do not have Java installed on my pc.  (security) I will check to see if any type of java script is enabled

I tried in IE and the header still scrolls up/down

I have had AdBlockPlus for a long time, enabled on that web page.

I have not tried "NoScript" but I can look into that also.

If the header stayed stationary, that would be great! I could appreciate that instead of the bouncing when I scroll up or down

Most ads are blocked, and I have no issues with 99.9% of the web sites I visit. Like yourself smax013, I mostly visit to keep up to date, but this web site gives the most annoyance. There are a multitude other places that do not have this function.

I will take your advice and post about this in feedback.

Thanks to all for your feedback!

peace & love

PC specs:

Windows 7 Pro

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 mother board

Intel 6700K  CPU

16gb Vengeance 2x8 Memory

Samsung 840 SSD (but I have a 960 EVO to install next week end)

2x Western digital 3 tb Platter drives

1-GTX 970 GPU

Edited by Joe C, 25 April 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#10 Joe C

Joe C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

Looks like we can vote as to whether or not to have a stationary header or or one the disappears/reappears when you scroll through the web page.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/645219/suggestion-for-home-page/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users