Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infections after downloading 'freeware' - 99% clear, help get the rest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 judorick

judorick

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Windows 10 PC:

I download and ran some free video conversion software which I'll add later (apologies, I'm posting from another machine)

Sadly, it was full of PUPs, malware, spyware and all sorts of other nasties

I ran two cycles of ADW cleaner & JRT and they removed a couple of hundred items between them and the pC appears to work normally.

However, two issues remain:

1. I cannot switch on Windows Defender - I get that message 'Ask your Group Admin'. I have looked and this seems a common problem and various fixes are posted online. However, it seems it is a virus / malware and I don't know what to do to fix it.

2. I cannot run, nor uninstall, Malwarebytes. When I ask Windows control panel to uninstall it it just goes 'unresponsive' and can only get rid of the dialogue box using Task Manager

I would be a total noob when it comes to using the command line and safe mode I'm afraid so any replies should take that into account

I do hope someone can help me out. It looks 99% fixed but I'm worried there is stuff lurking. I currently don't have an anti virus running as I was using Windows Defender. Since I can't run that, I've shut down the PC

many thanks in advance

Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 judorick

judorick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

Just re-started PC, getting dozens of automatic re-directs in Chrome

can anyone help please?

#3 judorick

judorick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Well 99% was a bit of an overestimation of the level of infection, I have Explorer and Chrome breaking out in redirect pop up constantly, I don't know how to switch to safe mode, It's naerly 11pm here and I'm in a panic

does anyone have any suggestions please?

Currently running Sophos anti virus in hope

#4 judorick

judorick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Huge progress!

After reading a load of guides, I've managed to run in order

Rkill (stopped a whole bunch or processes)

Malwarebytes antiroot kit (stopped and removed 136 malware pieces)

tdsskiller found nothing

ESET running currently and has already found viruses... waiting for results, scan could take an hour I guess

However, the non-stop browser open - redirect stuff has completely stopped for now

#5 judorick

judorick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP, JUST PICKED UP ANOTHER LOAD OF INFECTIONS FROM SOMEWHERE

it's 2am and I'm not leaving this till it's fixed, can anyone please give me some ideas what to do?

thanks

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

Topic closed ... new one here

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/644083/on-verge-of-getting-pc-wiped-after-infection-anyone-help-before-i-do-that/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users