Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 media creation tool doesn't run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SILE

SILE

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

My PC was heavily affected with Malware but now things are fairly well. Now to fix further damaged files, the malware instructor has advised me to do repair install. But the media creation tool just doesn't seem to run on my PC. It gave me error:

"There was a problem running this tool"

We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. 

If you continue experiencing problems,reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code: 0x8007139F - 0x90017

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Rather than doing a fresh installation of Windows 10 I would suggest doing a Reset.  This will essentially reinstall the operating system, but it also gives you the option to save your personal files.  It will uninstall any third party programs, but so would the fresh installation.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 09 April 2017 - 10:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hello!

Original thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642542/malware-removal-tools-cant-run/

The main issue is that there are many corrupted system files which SFC/DISM can not fix. Therefore I recommended her to do a Repair Install, not a fresh install. :)

Thank you for your help. Just wanted to go for sure that you are updated.

Greetings,

Machiavelli

~Machiavelli

If I don't reply within 24 hours please PM me!

• Every topic with no replies within 5 days will be closed.
  • If you like my help here please give me feedback.

unite_blue.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hello!

Original thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642542/malware-removal-tools-cant-run/

The main issue is that there are many corrupted system files which SFC/DISM can not fix. Therefore I recommended her to do a Repair Install, not a fresh install. :)

Thank you for your help. Just wanted to go for sure that you are updated.

Greetings,

Machiavelli

Hi Machiavaelli,

The Reset will reinstall the operating system and allow the OP to keep the data intact.  This will take care of any file corruption.  This can be done within Windows, so this resolves the problem of using the Media Creation Tool which seems to be problematic in this case. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SILE

SILE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Hello, 

I tried resetting my PC, It did all steps but at the last moment it gave error "Can't reset your PC , no changes were made"

There are other problems that are still there like-  1- Microsoft  Edge doesn't open up.
                                                                                     2- App like "share.it", "settings" open up but closes suddenly meanwhile.
                                                                                     3- Adding new Blutooth device to PC doesn't work.

Edited by SILE, 10 April 2017 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users