Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound System Not Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sunsilver

Sunsilver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

We had a very bad snowstorm Thursday night, and the power blinked in and out many times. When I got up in the morning, I found my computer sound system was toast. The ancient transformer that powered my equally ancient speakers (probably date back to Windows 98!) was dead.

I treated myself to a new set of speakers, but still cannot get the sound system up and running. The problem is with the Windows Audiosrv file/module. It seems to be corrupted or missing. I've followed all the suggestions on this page here, and still can't get it fixed: http://troubleshooter.xyz/fix-audio-services-not-responding-windows-10/  That included deleting the sound drivers, then restarting the computer, as well as running CCleaner and checking the registry entries for the sound files. (A far as I can tell, they seem to be in order.)

I've also run sfc/scannow, and yes, I have corrupted files that can't be fixed, but am unable to view the log, despite following the instructions on this page (which work for Win. 8, but not Win. 10)  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516518/corrupt-cbslog-file-found-using-sfcscannow/

When accessing the service files using services.src, I get the following messages for the audiosrv file: Failed to read description:error code 2. When I attempt to restart the service, i get an error code 126: specific module could not be found.

I'm really at my wit's end here, and don't know what else to try!

I'm not a tech wizard, or programmer, but am good at following instructions, if someone gives them step-by-step, and doesn't assume too much about my expertise. I'm fairly new to Win. 10 (upgraded last fall) so I am still struggling a bit with locating stuff. For example, had trouble finding the command prompt, and getting into admin. mode to run the sfc/scannow program.

Edited by Sunsilver, 09 April 2017 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

When you right click on the speaker icon and then click on playback devices, what do you see? Are your new speakers properly connected? Where are they connected? What kind of speakers are they, brand and model?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

The speakers are Logitech Z200

When I click on the speaker icon, and select 'playback devices' first I get "Windows audio service not enabled". If I click on that box, I get 'no audio devices installed'

A few minutes ago, when running the Windows troubleshooter, it told me my computer was set to never download new drivers. I changed that setting and rebooted, but the problem still isn't fixed. Since I deleted my sound drivers when following the suggestions on this page here: http://troubleshooter.xyz/fix-audio-services-not-responding-windows-10/ it would make sense that not being able to download or update drivers MAY be causing a problem!  However, it should have been automatically fixed when i rebooted after changing the setting, right?  :scratchhead:

Speakers are connected to the gray jack on back of computer. Have also tried the green jack that my previous speakers were plugged in to. Volume knob is on, and up 1/3 of the way, and the green light is lit on the right hand speaker.

BTW, I am having a tough time figuring out which of the 6 jacks on the back of the computer the speakers SHOULD be plugged in to?? But with the audio server not running, it really doesn't matter. THAT'S the problem that most needs fixing!

Edited by Sunsilver, 09 April 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#4 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Okay, I have checked device management, and the latest drivers for the sound system ARE installed and up to date.

When I run the troubleshooter for the sound playback, it just tells me the audio system is not running, and it can't start it. So, again, everything points to audiosrv as the problem. Still trying to find a fix for this - may try system restore, and see if that helps.

Edited by Sunsilver, 09 April 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

You have to plug the speakers into the green jack. Do that and see what happens. Make sure that you follow all of the directions included with your speakers.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-on-board-audio-works/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Could you post a screenshot of what you see here ?

screenshot_394.jpg

edit--- You got it fixed while I was working on this post. :)

Ignore this post.

Edited by medab1, 09 April 2017 - 10:26 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

AAAAnNNNNND....I now have sound!

System restore worked to fix the audiosrv file. When the restore process was finished, the muted icon was gone from the speakers, but I still didn't have sound. I ran the sound troubleshooter, and switched over from my Realtek sound program to Windows generic HD audio, and I'm now rockin' to some of my favourite tunes! :D

YIPPEEE!!

Medab, it told me audoisrv was stopped. When I tried to restart it, I got the messages I've listed above.

Edited by Sunsilver, 09 April 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Sunsilver

Sunsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

OOOhhhh, those new speakers sound SOOOO nice!   :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users