Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$1200 gaming pc

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

does this look ok for a gaming pc?

my old one doesn't play games as well so im gonna build a brand new one

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($48.98 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($127.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($125.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Matte 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($219.00 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($118.95 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1149.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-09 06:02 EDT-0400

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

That is of horrible value, when I get back to my PC, I'll compose a better parts list. In the meantime, could you answer these questions: 

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Will you be overclocking?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

#3 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? world of tanks, gta v, unturned, kerbal space program, dead by daylight

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? i don't really like first person shooters so i play the other ones

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? i think so

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? no

Will you be overclocking? i want to

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? america

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? windows

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? my old computer is getting slow. it doesnt run games well

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

That helps. What are you planning to do with current machine? Any parts you can transfer to new one (and save cash for other parts)? If you can, current machine specs are?

#5 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

i dunno its an old pc which is 6 or 7 years old now

i want to play games with the new computer as the old one can't do it.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

Well, then following parts may have some use:

- Case

- Hard disk

- Keyboard

- Mouse

- Display

You have $50 mouse, $120 keyboard and $220 display. Combined those take around 30% of budget. Also if display is FullHD, that's somewhat OK for that budget. If HDD is 1TB or larger, it should also be OK.

#7 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

i dunno what it is exactly but it is a toshiba satellite which is all i can remember

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:02 AM

Ahh, it's a laptop then. No parts can be transferred (or are worth transferring).

Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($50.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($148.98 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.98 @ NCIX US) 
Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy) 
Keyboard: Cougar AttackX3-4IS Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($74.90 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Ryzen 5 (Price estimate depenidng on model) ($200.00)
Total: $1180.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-10 04:00 EDT-0400

This would certainly be worth getting but I might leave it to drilling to recommend an SSD since he seems clued up on them. The SU800 has a high endurance I believe.

Ryzen 5 is also been released tomorrow so it's worth waiting for those.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Have to say that looks more balanced than the OP's system, which had some questionable part choices.  The Ryzen 1600 (6Core/ 12 Threads) @ $220 looks good value to me.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

i looked at the ryzen cpus and the 8300 in my list has more cores and about the same speed for half the price so i'll keep that

i want 16gb of ram as 8gb looks small

this ssd is only a bit smaller but cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x28H99/sandisk-ssd-plus-480gb-25-solid-state-drive-sdssda-480g-g26

i prefer nvidia as i want a cold pc and my current one overheats as it has an amd gpu

i dont like that case much

are you sure it has enough power? i dont want it to be too slow

i really want to have a good monitor with good resolution not 1920x1080

the look of the mouse and keyboard in my build matches my desk and mat so id like to keep them as well

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

i looked at the ryzen cpus and the 8300 in my list has more cores and about the same speed for half the price so i'll keep that

It doesn't offer the same speed (forget the speed in Ghz, in terms of instructions per clock cycle it trails Intel and Ryzen by a long way).  It actually only has 4 FPU's as well (each core module shares an FPU) so it's arguable it's not a true 8 core CPU.  It's still passable as a gaming CPU though, but you will want a better motherboard than in your first system.

Fair enough.

this ssd is only a bit smaller but cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x28H99/sandisk-ssd-plus-480gb-25-solid-state-drive-sdssda-480g-g26

Looks reasonable.

i prefer nvidia as i want a cold pc and my current one overheats as it has an amd gpu

You can't compare your experiences with a laptop (which often overheat regardless of what GPU is in them) with a desktop.  Anyway the closest to the RX480 in price and performance is a GTX 1060.

It has a sufficient PSU for the components selected.  It is a lot more powerful (in terms of CPU and GPU performance) than your original system.

There's nothing wrong with 1920 x 1080 as a resolution.  Wanting more is all well and good, but if you want to be gaming at 1440p, you need a pretty high end graphics card.

the look of the mouse and keyboard in my build matches my desk and mat so id like to keep them as well

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Between the R5 and FX 8300, the FX has a lower IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) which means the R5 performs more per cycle and has greater performance. It also shares the workload between the cores in something called SMT which makes the multicore performance much better than the FX.

8GB is enough for most, if not all, modern games. 16GB is generally overkill if you're just gaming

That has terrible endurance (120 TBW for 480GB is low) whilst the SU800 has much better endurance (400 TBW I believe)

Laptops generally oveheat due to poort airflow. AMD GPU's don't generally overheat more than a Nvidia one

Your choice really, just be prepared to spend extra

The speed of the PC depends on the components, not the Power Supply. 520W is definitely enough

To have a resolution higher than Full HD, you need a good GPU if you want to game on it. Unfortunately, your budget doesn't allow it. Besides, Full HD is generally more than enough andthe difference between them is not much.

They are quite expensive and you'd still get a good set for a much cheaper price.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

For SSD this MLC drive is much better than Sandisk's TLC offerings https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cjcMnQ/mushkin-internal-hard-drive-mknssdre512gb

I don't really like 16nm NAND tech that much, but at least it's MLC.

#14 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:39 AM

Between the R5 and FX 8300, the FX has a lower IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) which means the R5 performs more per cycle and has greater performance. It also shares the workload between the cores in something called SMT which makes the multicore performance much better than the FX.

im just gaming, im not sure that it matters

8GB is enough for most, if not all, modern games. 16GB is generally overkill if you're just gaming

i want the build to last a long time

That has terrible endurance (120 TBW for 480GB is low) whilst the SU800 has much better endurance (400 TBW I believe)

i dont need 120 tb of space, i only have a few games

Laptops generally oveheat due to poort airflow. AMD GPU's don't generally overheat more than a Nvidia one

although nvidia is still more powerful and better for gamers

Your choice really, just be prepared to spend extra

ye, id prefer a better looking case at least

The speed of the PC depends on the components, not the Power Supply. 520W is definitely enough

ok

To have a resolution higher than Full HD, you need a good GPU if you want to game on it. Unfortunately, your budget doesn't allow it. Besides, Full HD is generally more than enough andthe difference between them is not much.

could you try and fit a good gpu into the budget?

They are quite expensive and you'd still get a good set for a much cheaper price.

i think ill keep it anyway

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

im just gaming, im not sure that it matters

It matters. Luckily Ryzen 5 launched today.

i want the build to last a long time

Buy 8GB now and more when prices are lower? Memory prices are ultra high just now.

i dont need 120 tb of space, i only have a few games

TBW stands for Total Bytes Written, not capacity.

although nvidia is still more powerful and better for gamers

Not exactly. AMD owns game console market and AMD's DirectX 12 support is around 5 years ahead Nvidia.

So I would go like this, add mouse, keyboard and case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dGddcc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.66 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.90 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($106.98 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1014.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-11 11:27 EDT-0400

Future upgrades: better video card, another 8 GB memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users