Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get internet in the middle of nowhere?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyJack

LuckyJack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:40 AM

I'm in San Diego, California so it's not that I'm actually in the middle of nowhere but the problem is that this ridiculously affordable office space that I'm renting isn't considered it's own address, so no ISP in San Diego would provide hardline internet.

I even had a tech savvy friend run some software on his laptop that can crack low-grade Wi-Fi passwords but we had no luck. All strong singles in the immediate vicinity have a level of security that is beyond whatever program he was using.

If asking the neighbors for the password in exchange for paying all or some of their internet bill isn't an option, and if you're tired of paying outrageous prices for data on your cellphone bill, are there any other options you can think of?

I was even thinking of getting a Wi-Fi antenna to see if I could pickup an unsecured network in the area, but I don't know if that's worth my money.

Thanks in advance for helping me brainstorm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

I even had a tech savvy friend run some software on his laptop that can crack low-grade Wi-Fi passwords but we had no luck. All strong singles in the immediate vicinity have a level of security that is beyond whatever program he was using.

AND

I was even thinking of getting a Wi-Fi antenna to see if I could pickup an unsecured network in the area, but I don't know if that's worth my money.

Either of these routes could get you into trouble under 'abuse of computer' regulations. I believe you have them in the USA even if different in detail from the regulations in the UK and other countries.

Do you get 'snail mail' delivered to your nice cheap premises ?  I would have thought a couple of letters with envelopes from the likes of utilities would have been sufficient to convince an ISP that you exist. That and confirmation of a bank account. ISPs are not normally in the business of turning down applicants.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 LuckyJack

LuckyJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

No, an ISP will not under any circumstances install internet service at the location. I need an alternative solution, which is why I made the post.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

DSL ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 LuckyJack

LuckyJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

No, an ISP will not under any circumstances install internet service at the location. I need an alternative solution, which is why I made the post.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

I believe a Satellite ISP would be your only option and there are drawbacks with Satellite, the biggest being the data caps. Put your address into this page.

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

You may want to read this page and the reviews which were negative.

http://www.reviews.org/reviews/hughesnet-reviews/

You can google for different Satellite providers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 April 2017 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users