Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update problem with a twist!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SpitTheDog

SpitTheDog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

Hello all. I'll try to keep this brief but i know i won't!

I recently reinstalled Vista on my somone's laptop (full install not repair) as I had done previously on the same machine without problem using the same windows iso disc a few years earlier. The first time I used the disc was about 4 years ago and windows updated immediatey after installation without problem. This time however, absolutely no joy.

Please note, I am NOT asking for solutions to the update problem as I've tried them all without success and there are plenty of threads dealing with this issue already. That's not so say I've given up, I just want to try my own solution which involves uninstalling SP2 from the system.

But here's the problem. When I open up the system information window, sure enough, it says I have Windows Service Pack 2 installed. Now I certainly did not update the system with SP2 or any other update. Because Update does NOT work!

The only updates I see listed are old KB files (5 of them) which I assume installed themselves with the Vista installation disc. I don't have access to the laptop right now so I can't tell you which KB files are in the installed list, but I did look them up and they are all just previous versions of the Vista update installer. No sign of any service pack files or any other updates.

So the question I have twofold: Do I have SP2 installed or don't I? And If I do, how do I go about unistalling SP2 if I can't see it listed?

Is it possible that the installation disc I used is somehow an image of Vista SP2 without actually containing SP2? I have tried downloading SP2 and installing but get the predictable message that SP2 is already installed. Call me crazy but I'm just not convinced that I do. Call me crazier still, but could this be the reason windows won't update?

Some extra info: Straight after installation I checked the version of Internet Explorer and it was IE7. However i dimly remember that Vista SP2 came with IE8? Is this further evidence? I was however able to download IE9 and install it.

Probably not relevant but The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1720, intel core 2 duo, 2Ghz Ram and it came shipped with Vista 32-bit Home edition. I am reinstalling using same OS. Windows has been validated online with authentic windows key.

Anyhow, if anyone can shed some light on my specific question I'd be very grateful, to say the least.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

If the install disk is not Vista SP2 it's possible it was updated during the install if the computer was connected to the internet during install. If it was not connected to the internet during install and your System Information shows SP2 then you have a SP2 install disk.

I believe this will work for a Vista install disk but I can't confirm it.

Verify the SP of your install disk by using the DISM command in a command prompt on a Windows 7 or higher computer. Substitute your optical drive or USB drive letter of the install for E:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1

http://www.waynezim.com/2012/10/how-to-determine-the-version-of-your-windows-iso-file/

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 April 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#3 kaffekop

kaffekop

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hei  
Alternatively one could think:
This fine machine was introduced in aug. 2007 and Vista SP2 in 2009. Windows update probably installed SP2 on the Dell Inspiron via Windows Update in 2009. A following downgrade with the Vista disk from 2007 somehow could have resulted in leftover registry entries indicating a now not existing SP2 (I uninstalled Office 2003 a long time ago but is still offered updates for Office). A registry clean could perhaps solve the problem?

#4 VolumeZ

VolumeZ

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

The solution to this is setting Automatic Updates to "Never check for Updates", rebooting and installing KB4019204, KB4018271, KB4015380, KB4012583 and KB3205638 manually.

The issue did not occur 4 years ago because none of these Updates had been released yet. The issue gets triggered when applicability of at least one of them meets availability of the respective Update or one of its predecessors. The first Update known to show this behavior in Vista was KB3078601, released Patch Day August 2015, now covered by its split successors KB4019204, KB4015380 and KB4012583.

KB4018271 is not required immediately upon reinstalling Windows Vista. It becomes relevant with installing IE9.

Regards, VZ

#5 SpitTheDog

SpitTheDog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

The solution to this is setting Automatic Updates to "Never check for Updates", rebooting and installing KB4019204, KB4018271, KB4015380, KB4012583 and KB3205638 manually.

The issue did not occur 4 years ago because none of these Updates had been released yet. The issue gets triggered when applicability of at least one of them meets availability of the respective Update or one of its predecessors. The first Update known to show this behavior in Vista was KB3078601, released Patch Day August 2015, now covered by its split successors KB4019204, KB4015380 and KB4012583.

KB4018271 is not required immediately upon reinstalling Windows Vista. It becomes relevant with installing IE9.

Regards, VZ

I thought I'd tried all the solutions but this one worked. Not at first, but eventually! I'm now watching a decade's worth of updates installing!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!

Regards, Spit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users