Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Package File: Bad Digital Signature

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

I recently made use of the Windows Upgrade Assistant to update my Windows 10 Pro install to Version 1703, Build 15063.13.

That all apparently went quite well, but a scan of Windows package files revealed

C:\WINDOWS\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

to be possibly corrupt with a bad digital signature.

To address the possible corruption and bad digital signature, I attempted:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

However that ended before 100% with error 0x800f081f:  The source files could not be found.

I then attempted downloading the Creators Update ISO file with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, and then executing:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource:\sources\install.esd

Replacing "repairSource" with the appropriate drive letter where the ISO was mounted.  However, the result was the same.

I'm guessing the issue with Dism /RestoreHealth is related to the bad digital signature on the windows package file?

That said, it does not appear there is currently a way to repair this problem.  Does anyone know if this is a known issue with the Creators Update?  Or did I have "bad luck" in contracting some random file corruption?  And can anyone suggest another way I may be able to remedy my problem(s)?

Thanks in advance for any info / advice!

Edited by Oxonsi, 08 April 2017 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Please follow instructions at below tutorial link.

"Resolve The Source Files Could Not Be Downloaded Dism Tool Error"

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for your reply.  I followed the directions for "Mount the Install.wim Image File" because I had already tried the first options.First I needed to extract a WIM file from the ESD file on the Creators Update ISO image.  I found some directions online for doing that, which was successful.  I then moved the new WIM file to C:\sources\install.wim

And then executed Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"C:\sources\install.wim"  /index:1  /MountDir:C:\MountWim

I then proceeded with the following, however as you can see the final result was the same.

I think this must be an issue with the Creators Update, and so maybe Microsoft will resolve this in the future.  I did run sfc /scannow afterwards, even though /RestoreHealth did not complete successfully.  The result of that was, "Windows Resource Proteciton did not find any integrity violations."

Therefore, I guess I won't worry too much about this for now.  But let me know if there is any more information avaiable about the file:  Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

Thanks again.

*********************************************************************************************

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"C:\sources\install.wim"  /index:1  /MountDir:C:\MountWim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.15063.0

Mounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth     /Source:"C:\MountWim\Windows"   /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

[===========================89.1%===================       ]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

#4 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Per a post on TenForums.com, it appears my suspicions were correct that this is currently a Creators Update problem.  I could not follow the entire thread, but it seems to indicate that I should be OK as-is.  See post #371 in link.

"That has been common error for several builds. There is a FlightSigning package missing in Install.wim that causes this error, but if sfc/scannow passes you are fine. Maybe they will change it not to look for that package if 15063 becomes RTM."

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image-38.html?s=0070394bee86c143ae5a0e5a388210ad

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Looks like you have this resolved.  Good job. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Yes, thanks!  :warrior:

What is the general manifestation of this kind of package file corruption?  My understanding is that it can cause problems with future Windows updates.  In this case, it appears I don't need to worry about it.

#7 DAC324

DAC324

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hallo,

possibly, there is a solution here: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/81413-creators-update-component-store-shows-corruption-but-unable-repair-post991296.html#post991296

Affected is the package Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0 . There are two occurrences of that package in the registry.

For some reason, DISM is unable to load it from a mounted install.wim or install.esd.

Also note the "Test" in the name of the file. Apparently, it is a remnant from a previous testing build.

The suggestion therefore is to delete these two registry keys (export them first in case you need them back later):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageIndex\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~0.0.0.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0]

In addition, the file Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0 has to be moved out of the folder c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages so that DISM will not find it any more.

After these measures, there are no more errors when running DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth .

Kind regards,

DAC324

Edited by DAC324, 20 April 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#8 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

Thanks very much for the updated information.  I will try this method once I have some time.

Best regards,

Oxonsi

#9 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:48 AM

Brilliant, it worked!

As mentioned in the link, one does need to grant Administrators full control of those keys before one is allowed to delete them...  Yes, once all completed Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth results in, "The operation completed successfully."

Thanks again :)

#10 takitezsdc

takitezsdc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Dac324   Question for you.........you posted  " In addition, the file Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0 has to be moved out of the folder c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages so that DISM will not find it any more."

When I go to that path.....there are 3 other files pertaining to the Flightsigning -Package.  Do we delete those as well?

oh and is that picture a mug shot? sorry just had to ask........smile my friend............ :)

the files I speak of are:

Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0 

Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

What are .mum files if you know?

Edited by takitezsdc, 04 June 2017 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users