Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Outlook 16 not updating

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drumor

drumor

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

My emails in Outlook have not updated since Tuesday April 4, 2017. However when I check my emails through the carriers webmail server all the new emails are there.I've run the Repair utility to no avail. I have the strong feeling if I reinstall outlook 16 I will lose all my emails.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2017 - 06:50 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

Please do the following.

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens selct Command Prompt (Admin).  When the Command Prompt opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the two commands below one at a time and press Enter after each command.

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Type Exit in the Command Prompt and press Enter to close the Command Prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the scan information. I ran both as admin and there were no errors found. After rebooting Outlook updated emails between Tuesday and Friday. When I went to open the inbox I received the message that "Outlook wasn't responding" No matter what option I tried the updates didn't occur and I would continue to get the same message. When I did the repair routines it would log into the servers (Optimum and GMAIL servers) and send the test messages. When viewing my emails on the respective webmail servers I would see the test messages.

This is getting pretty frustrating.

Drew

#4 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

My emails in Outlook have not updated since Tuesday April 4, 2017. However when I check my emails through the carriers webmail server all the new emails are there.I've run the Repair utility to no avail. I have the strong feeling if I reinstall outlook 16 I will lose all my emails.

Well by your description it sounds like you have a POP email account. That means your email is received on your ISP email server. When you login your email is downloaded to your client. So the part your having issue with you is the DL to the client. I would go into the client under the incoming server and test to see if it connects or just recreate a new connection to the server. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#5 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for your reply. The type of mail server for the two email accounts are shown as IMAP/SMPT servers. While the repair utility the configuration test all complete successfully. It is able to connect to the server, logon, and send successful emails back. Unfortunately I can only view the messages via the webmail servers of Optimum and GMAIL. If I remove the accounts and reestablish them  I fear I will lose the emails saved under folders I've created over the years.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Is you email client inbox full?

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

FSS1_zpsed396cd9.png

Place checks in all of the boxes and then click on Scan

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

FSS2_zps8ffbee2d.png

Reinstalling Outlook won’t delete any email, contacts, calendar items, etc. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 27-01-2016
Ran by Admin (administrator) on 13-04-2017 at 17:12:29
Running from "C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\Farbar Utility"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy: 
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

I use Kaspersky Total security and Malwarebyte premium exploit

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

If you have been using IMAP, and have been using IMAP folders (which you'd know because the various folders you've created are also present when you look at your webmail) and filters (though these can be recreated if you did have these set up in Outlook rather than your IMAP server) you can and will get every message back.

The whole design concept of IMAP is that all vital mail processing and storage occurs server side and that the only purpose of the e-mail clients that access it is to present a mirror of what's on the server.  That's why when you have the same account being accessed via IMAP, and are using server side filters and folders, anything you do on one device is reflected "immediately" on all the others, delayed only by the amount of time between the change on the server and when the client next synchronizes with it.  It's also why you can set up your account on device after device after device and have each present you with exactly the same messages and folders.  You can also delete from as many devices as you want and, unless you close your account with your e-mail service provider, those messages will remain resident on their server for web access or for when you get a new device on which you use IMAP to access your mail.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for your reply. The type of mail server for the two email accounts are shown as IMAP/SMPT servers. While the repair utility the configuration test all complete successfully. It is able to connect to the server, logon, and send successful emails back. Unfortunately I can only view the messages via the webmail servers of Optimum and GMAIL. If I remove the accounts and reestablish them  I fear I will lose the emails saved under folders I've created over the years.

Alittle about email. Both Pop3 and IMAP type email accounts the email is received on your providers email server. Your accounts are on your ISP servers. being Opimum and Gmail. I was talking about re creating your connection in your email client which is Outlook 2016. Our client connects to your ISP's email with your account information.You configure Outlook 2016 (your client) to match those settings. You should be able to test the connection to the server when your configuring. The difference between POP3 and IMAP is emails are received on the ISP server and with IMAP the emails stay on the server and you view them with your client on the server. POP3 allows you to download the emails to your machine and view thru Outlook. On POP3 emails there is a switch that allows you to delete or keep your emails on the ISP server after you download them. I myself have POP3 and I don't check the box. I do this as to receive emails on multiple device. If I delete on each device using the client I'm deleting ONLY the emails that have been downloaded. Now because I have space limits I have to login to the my ISP's server and delete the emails. I have Spectrum as my ISP and the Pop3 server is mail.brighthouse.com (Brighthouse was purchased by Spectrum). So I ment changing the configuration in Outlook not on the email server. SMTP is the Server used to send outgoing mail. Typically when you configure IMAP you don't have to setup an outgoing server. POP3 you usually have to setup. A typical SMTO is Outgoing.brighthouse.com.  

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users