Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/643258/ - Hamluis.

My wife's PC has been giving random problems, such as refusing to boot into Windows (Win7 64bit), but a bit of unplugging memory and SATA cables and replugging them has usually sorted out the problem.

But now, when switching on, the PS starts up, the CPU fan starts up and then shuts down and starts up continuously.  The keyboard lights flash on and off with each cycle, but that is the limit of what happens.

What can I look for, as I have tried the unplug, plug routine, with no joy.

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2017 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Disconnect all drives (SATA and power connections), drop down to one RAM stick in required slot, and check for a POST, and, better yet, a display....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow - already after midnight here in South Africa.  I have another PC with the proper CPU and a PS, but I need to drive and get it, so I may still be able to resuscitate it.  I will post my results here.

Sorry, Hamluis for hijacking another thread and thanks for moving my query.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#5 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:00 AM

I tried replacing the CPU and the PS, but to no avail.  I then used my old (Foxconn) motherboard and that was great, meaning that the Asus MB was fried.

However, getting the system running again was a bit of a job, as the drivers needed to be updated (on a machine that would not start up).

I came across an extremely helpful page (http://www.dowdandassociates.com/blog/content/howto-repair-windows-7-install-after-replacing-motherboard/) that fixed that for me and the PC is running well again.

Thanks for the help.

Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users