Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live mail 2012

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 indy777

indy777

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

I have used Windows live mail 2012 format for a long time and hate to change, but it looks like I am going to have to as I found Microsoft will no longer support this. Two things, 1. What is a good email program to change to and 2. I can't seem to be able to save any of my storage folders before changing.

Appriciate any comments or help.

I am using Window 10 on a Dell desktop computer. 

Edited by indy777, 08 April 2017 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

I have to ask:  If you are using WLM 2012 strictly as a POP or IMAP access e-mail client why would you have to change?

There are no indicators that WLM 2012 has become a security risk and the POP and IMAP protocols have been virtually untouched for decades now.  Until something comes out indicating that a new exploit (or exploits) are targeting WLM 2012 successfully it's probably as secure as most of the currently available e-mail clients.  Official support only stopped in January.

If you are using IMAP access you don't need to save anything (unless you moved it to a strictly local folder) as IMAP folders are on the mail server and will be re-created when you enter your account information in an alternate e-mail client if you wish to use one.

My first choice is Thunderbird.  Opera Mail is quite nice, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ok, Well that's good to know. The reason I found out about the support for WDM ending was that I was having a problem with WDM starting up after I shut it down. After shutting it down the second time the program stays shut down. Not a big deal other than I couldn't figure out why that has started after all this time. The only thing I have recently done is install a VPN through Norton security. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users