Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live mail 2012

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 indy777

indy777

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

I have used Windows live mail 2012 format for a long time and hate to change, but it looks like I am going to have to as I found Microsoft will no longer support this. Two things, 1. What is a good email program to change to and 2. I can't seem to be able to save any of my storage folders before changing.

Appriciate any comments or help.

I am using Window 10 on a Dell desktop computer. 

Edited by indy777, 08 April 2017 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

I have to ask:  If you are using WLM 2012 strictly as a POP or IMAP access e-mail client why would you have to change?

There are no indicators that WLM 2012 has become a security risk and the POP and IMAP protocols have been virtually untouched for decades now.  Until something comes out indicating that a new exploit (or exploits) are targeting WLM 2012 successfully it's probably as secure as most of the currently available e-mail clients.  Official support only stopped in January.

If you are using IMAP access you don't need to save anything (unless you moved it to a strictly local folder) as IMAP folders are on the mail server and will be re-created when you enter your account information in an alternate e-mail client if you wish to use one.

My first choice is Thunderbird.  Opera Mail is quite nice, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 indy777

indy777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ok, Well that's good to know. The reason I found out about the support for WDM ending was that I was having a problem with WDM starting up after I shut it down. After shutting it down the second time the program stays shut down. Not a big deal other than I couldn't figure out why that has started after all this time. The only thing I have recently done is install a VPN through Norton security. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users