Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best screenshot utility software?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

Been using Gyazo for years and was thinking it might be time for a change, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

If you've been using all the features of Gyazo for years then what you're looking for is definitely a lot more than a simple screen shot application.

I really don't have any recommendations as I do screen shots the stone-age way under Windows:  Using Alt+PrtSc or just PrtSc depending on whether I want just the window that has focus or the whole screen and pasting the result into the image handling program I favor at the moment.  Under Windows 10 WinKey+PrtSc immediately places a screen shot of the full screen in your Pictures library in the Screenshot folder.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Amandayin

Amandayin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I never have any screenshot application because I use Mac. Screenshot is quite easy: CMD + Shift + 4 + Space. Whoa~~ :guitar:

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Recent versions of Windows include a very robust Snipping Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Recent versions of Windows include a very robust Snipping Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

That is what I was going to suggest as a starting point.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

I never have any screenshot application because I use Mac. Screenshot is quite easy: CMD + Shift + 4 + Space. Whoa~~ :guitar:

The macOS also has a built-in screenshot tool called Grab (you can find it the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder) that offers more sophisticated options if needed.

And if you need to record screen videos on a Mac, then you can use Quicktime.

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Snipping Tool in Windows is a good suggestion.  Is a way possible to open a sequence of menu-bar commands of a window, and NOT LOOSE the window and opened menus when trying to make a picture of that?  As example, one opens the EDIT menu, clicks on COPY, keeping mouse arrow on the word COPY, and user wants this picture of that menu item open, but if clicking on ANYTHING, the whole window gets minimized.  Then no picture of the window.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

Well, under Windows 10 (and perhaps 8 and 7, but I haven't tested) WinKey+PrtSc does that.

In Win10 that snags the screenshot into your Pictures folder under a folder named Screenshots

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Well, under Windows 10 (and perhaps 8 and 7, but I haven't tested) WinKey+PrtSc does that.

In Win10 that snags the screenshot into your Pictures folder under a folder named Screenshots

If that will work, then it will be very convenient; so I guess Snipping Tool and other screenshot makers should be unnecessary....?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

cafejose:  I have never used formal screenshot makers under any version of Windows.  Between PrtSc to capture a full screen or ALT+PrtSc to capture just the active window, and a simple graphics editing program like Paint where I can paste and manipulate (usually add annotations to) those captures, or the use of WinKey+PrtSc I've got any sort of screen capture I need.

I have used Snipping tool when what I want is not a screen capture, but a partial screen capture.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

Snipping Tool in Windows is a good suggestion.  Is a way possible to open a sequence of menu-bar commands of a window, and NOT LOOSE the window and opened menus when trying to make a picture of that?  As example, one opens the EDIT menu, clicks on COPY, keeping mouse arrow on the word COPY, and user wants this picture of that menu item open, but if clicking on ANYTHING, the whole window gets minimized.  Then no picture of the window.

I believe the Snipping Tool in Windows has a timed screen shot command. If so, then it can be used for what you want (as well as other tougher to get types of screenshots).

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

I like snipping tool because it lets you snip any dragged rectangular area not just the whole active window. It does allow for a active window and free form snip also.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

I like snipping tool because it lets you snip any dragged rectangular area not just the whole active window. It does allow for a active window and free form snip also.

John, the following is not aimed at you personally in any way.

We're engaging in a circle game here.  Matching the tool to the intended purpose is always the best thing to do.  Snipping tool has its purpose,  as do the other methods that Windows allows natively to take screen shots or active window shots, as do, I'm sure, third-party tools.

I've never tried to use Snipping Tool to take an active window shot, but based on my experience with it I'm wondering if activating it to take that kind of shot would not collapse open menus as part of the deal.  It's always been the biggest PITA to capture the step-by-step actions to do something, in progress, without setting yourself back to square one.  That's where I've found the WinKey+PrtSc to be the most helpful, though I wish it didn't save in PNG format, but that's easy enough to convert when I need to do so.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

I've never tried to use Snipping Tool to take an active window shot, but based on my experience with it I'm wondering if activating it to take that kind of shot would not collapse open menus as part of the deal.  It's always been the biggest PITA to capture the step-by-step actions to do something, in progress, without setting yourself back to square one.  That's where I've found the WinKey+PrtSc to be the most helpful, though I wish it didn't save in PNG format, but that's easy enough to convert when I need to do so.

This is where the Timed screenshot function of the Snipping Tool comes into play if the other more "normal" tools of the program won't do it. You still might be right that using the WinKey+PrtSc approach might be easier at times, but not everyone remembers lots of key combos for stuff (especially if they don't use them that often). Of course, I would kind of argue that the reason I use a program like the Snipping Tool (or in my case, the built-in Grab utility on the Mac that is similar in nature) is that it allows me to control where I put those screenshots. The keystroke functions put them in a default place that I then have to go to and then move to where I want them...and rename them. So, I would tend to argue that while the keystroke command functions are likely quicker and easier to use on the front end, you have more steps to make use of them on the back end. So, over all, you might actually end up doing the similar amount of steps/work with either method.

As to PNG, it is likely doing that to get the highest quality (since PNG is a loseless compression format) compared to the more common JPG. They likely figure that people can then choose to go with a potentially lower quality format (such as JPG) if they want by converting it...even if it does then require more steps. I suppose I could argue it would not be too hard for Microsoft (or Apple since they tend to use PNG by default if memory serves) to allow a system preference to choose which format to use...just a little extra programming on their part...but then I doubt too many people are screaming about that issue. :grinner:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Windows 7 does not have a time delay but I found a tip on the internet that was good. Start the Snipping Tool with Rectangular Snap. This puts a transparency over the screen. Hit cancel and now it's just sitting there waiting to be active again. Right click to get a context menu or perhaps on a browser select your drop down bookmark menu. On my laptop I press Ctrl+Fn+Prnt Scrn. This puts a transparency back but at the same time allows me to rectangular snap and save the context menu or bookmark menu. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users