Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Install Questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

i have an older XP laptop that i use strickly for travelling when i stay at hotels, i want to wipe it and do a fresh install of XP but i dont have install discs,

when i had this problem before with windows 7 or 8 on other computers i simply downloaded an iso file and made a bootable USB using rufus, but i cant seem to find a windows XP home iso download

anybody know where to find it?

also, the product key sticker has worn off the computer and i can not read it, will this be a problem activating windows again?

i dont want to end up not being able to activate windows after the new install

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

See this BC post. Use the first link only and only at your own risk. This is not a download form Microsoft. Also I would not use the OS for any online purchases or banking.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

mikey11...if you are only going to be doing online stuff...not needing one or more Windows platform only programs...then you should consider

using a free LIVE LINUX operating system or actually install a free Linux operating system. If you need more info on Linux and its installation...then

ask for assistance in the Linux Forum. Linux can bring old computers back to life and more secure than any Windows OS.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

You can use any of several utilities...to obtain your XP license key, before you try to reinstall.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/software/how-to-find-your-windows-or-office-product-key.html , scroll down to Extract Your Key From Windows.

The Speccy application, not the Speccy Snapshot, will also reflect your Windows key.  The basic Speccy app is information for the user only, while the Snapshot is a tool for providing (safely) online data about a system...to others.

I know of no way of installing Windows without the license/key...legally.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

mikey11...if you are only going to be doing online stuff...not needing one or more Windows platform only programs...then you should consider

using a free LIVE LINUX operating system or actually install a free Linux operating system. If you need more info on Linux and its installation...then

ask for assistance in the Linux Forum. Linux can bring old computers back to life and more secure than any Windows OS.

thanks, the computer is basically only used for web browsing and email while i travel,

i have zero experience with linux but might check it out if you think its whats best

You can use any of several utilities...to obtain your XP license key, before you try to reinstall.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/software/how-to-find-your-windows-or-office-product-key.html , scroll down to Extract Your Key From Windows.

The Speccy application, not the Speccy Snapshot, will also reflect your Windows key.  The basic Speccy app is information for the user only, while the Snapshot is a tool for providing (safely) online data about a system...to others.

I know of no way of installing Windows without the license/key...legally.

Louis

thanks that was helpful, i will use that to find my product key before i wipe it

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

If your computer was built in the last decade and has minimum of 2 GB of memory....then you can probably use any of the many Linux distros.

If it is older and less memory then Puppy or another lightweight distro could be used. For email and cruising the web...you can use Firefox. If it

is a 64 bit computer then Google Chrome will work, too.

Really it is easy to move to Linux without any hassle. You can use a LIVE version of the most popular distros installed on a Flash Drive, CD or DVD.

If the computer will boot from a Flash Drive then I suggest using that. Using LIVE....nothing is installed on your harddrive. It only runs from RAM.

If you like what you see...then you can choose to install.

For more info on Linux....visit the Linux Forum.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

If your computer was built in the last decade and has minimum of 2 GB of memory....then you can probably use any of the many Linux distros.

If it is older and less memory then Puppy or another lightweight distro could be used. For email and cruising the web...you can use Firefox. If it

is a 64 bit computer then Google Chrome will work, too.

Really it is easy to move to Linux without any hassle. You can use a LIVE version of the most popular distros installed on a Flash Drive, CD or DVD.

If the computer will boot from a Flash Drive then I suggest using that. Using LIVE....nothing is installed on your harddrive. It only runs from RAM.

If you like what you see...then you can choose to install.

For more info on Linux....visit the Linux Forum.

thanks,

it only has 1GB RAM, i actually tried a 2GB RAM in it and it would not work/accept it, i guess the motherboard will not recognize anything more then 1GB, it is a "mini laptop" only one RAM slot....model is ASUS Eee PC 1001PX

as i said i only use it when i travel, its old but does the job

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

According to RAM & SSD Upgrades | ASUS Eee PC 1001PX | Crucial.com  the max RAM is 2 GB.....one stick for one slot.

200-pinsodimm.png
Crucial 2GB DDR2-800 SODIMM CT1267099
  • DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •
  • upgrade for ASUS Eee PC 1001PX system.
  • $27.99

Puppy Linux should work okay on the 1 GB of RAM.

Edited by buddy215, 08 April 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#9 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

According to RAM & SSD Upgrades | ASUS Eee PC 1001PX | Crucial.com  the max RAM is 2 GB.....one stick for one slot.

200-pinsodimm.png
Crucial 2GB DDR2-800 SODIMM CT1267099
  • DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •
  • upgrade for ASUS Eee PC 1001PX system.
  • $27.99

Puppy Linux should work okay on the 1 GB of RAM.

thats strange i tried a 2GB stick and it would not boot

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

One stick...for each slot.

Not all slots on a system...can accommodate single modules that reflect the max for the board/system.

Louis

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

One stick...for each slot.

Not all slots on a system...can accommodate single modules that reflect the max for the board/system.

Louis

it only has one slot

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Not so, according to Specs.

Louis

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

Not so, according to Specs.

Louis

that must be a newer version as those specs also say windows 7, as i said i have XP, im looking at it right now and there is only one slot

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

As a side note...in case you weren't aware of it....the first of that line of computers were sold ONLY with a Linux distro. Later versions were

sold with XP and 7. The last of that line were sold with Linux Ubuntu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users