Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion Topic "Vista End of Support".

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hey Everyone,

Windows Vista reaches its ‘End of Life’ on 11th April 2017.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882

Windows Vista is the last of the Windows operating systems that has not been violated with privacy intrusive information seeking updates .

I for one hate to see this happen as I have always liked Windows Vista since it was first released and have used it without any of the problems which I have read others to have.

I will still continue to use Windows Vista offline for Microsoft Flight Simulator X as I prefer it over Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10.

Just thought I would post this.

The-Toolman

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 April 2017 - 10:29 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

To be honest, if you use your Windows Vista PC only for browsing, gaming, entertainment & just general fun, you'd be as okay as with any modern OS, such as Windows 10, for another 5 years or so. Provided, of course, that you don't click on 'stupid things' on the Internet and you don't use your computer for online banking, business, work or anything that has to do with sensitive data.
My Windows XP Service Pack 3 PC works like, if not better than, the day it was first purchased. The only problem I have with it is that YouTube videos are kinda choppy even though I've tried my best to make them not be. Everything else works perfect, apart from modern gaming, visual development, such as Photoshop, watching HD videos, watching YouTube and that's it.
So, if I were you, I wouldn't be all that bothered to change my Windows Vista OS or my PC anytime soon, provided that I use it as a 'home' computer, if I am just used to and comfortable with it or if I am currently low on cash.
:)

Taken from here.

BTW, I personally think, Windows Vista was garbage, lol. In my view, Windows 7 is the best overall product that Microsoft has ever made. Windows XP is has the most 'homely' feel. Windows 98, 95 and MS-DOS were good for their time. Everything else was 'meh' or at best 'okay'. :)

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

I've migrated to Linux no reason to use an unsupported OS online.  :thumbup2:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

I found that a thread on this topic has already been created so if a moderator wants to combine or close this thread I'm cool with that.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642065/windows-vista-is-four-weeks-from-hasta-la-vista/

Thanks.

The Toolman

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Windows Vista is the last of the Windows operating systems that has not been violated with privacy intrusive information seeking updates...

Hi The-Toolman:

Vista SP2 isn't immune to this type of invasive data collection.  If you accepted the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool update (KB890830) offered by Windows Update every Patch Tuesday then Microsoft has been silently collecting telemetry from your system since August 2016 via a Heartbeat Report.  This report is submitted to Microsoft after every MSRT scan even if the scan does not detect malware on your system.  All the Microsoft privacy statement (revised August 2016) says is that "During a malware check, a report will be sent to Microsoft with specific data about malware detected, errors, and other data about your device".  Here's an excerpt from my MSRT scan log (C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log) for the March 2017 Patch Tuesday updates:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.46, March 2017 (build 5.46.13601.0)
Started On Wed Mar 15 10:09:35 2017

Engine: 1.1.13504.0
Signatures: 1.237.571.0
Run Mode: Scan Run From Windows Update

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.
Successfully Submitted Heartbeat Report
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Wed Mar 15 10:14:03 2017

Return code: 0 (0x0)
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.2 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hi Imacri,

Fortunately I never ran the MSRT although it did download.

I know nothing is truly private anymore.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

:rip: Vista Damn good OS IMO / November 8, 2006 to April 11, 2017 :rip: 

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

i use vista on my main home computer and will continue to do so, i think its excellent, never had a problem

Edited by mikey11, 25 April 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

Windows 8.1 Pro is good.

Unless you really like 7.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users