Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio in Headphones Not in Speakers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DadaMan

DadaMan

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Dear Friends,

I know this request is a bit unusual, but please bear with me.

I'm trying to get some advanced information or suggestions in order to Troubleshoot this issue with my brothers HP Pavilion g7-1150us Notebook PC. Which had a Windows 10 upgrade sometime ago so I believe its unrelated to the Audio issue of No sound with the speakers, but there is sound into the headphones. 
It could be something as simple as setting the speakers to default. Or perhaps the Audio drivers, Chipset or BIOS need to be updated or reinstalled? 

This is the model page from HP:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g7-1100-Notebook-PC-series/5082232/model/5128929

Hardware and Software
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02845373

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank You Very Much!

Sincerely, 
Raphael

Specs:
Microprocessor
2.40GHz Intel Core i3-370M Processor
Microprocessor Cache
3MB L3 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM)
Memory Max
Maximum supported = 8GB
Video Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Video Memory
Up to 1969MB
Hard Drive
640 GB (5400RPM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Have you verified that the speakers are connected to the correct jack on the computer?

Have you verified that the speakers work by using another device to provide sound, i.e. cell phone?

If the speakers are powered are they plugged in?

#3 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thank You so much for making the time to respond.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It's the speakers inside the laptop that were not playing..only the headphones were working. Initially I could not get any of the sounds to work via the Control panel>Sound> sound>Programs events. For some reason the Sound scheme in the same window was set to Delta and not Windows Default. Not sure what affect that has if any?
Working from the speaker icon>checking Playback devices>Recording devices>Troubleshoot., etc..using the troubleshooter didn't prove useful other than at one point it indicated a "generic" driver. Any drivers that I downloaded for Audio were directly from the HP website..
The BIOS was outdated so I updated that and I ran a sfc/scannow and found some corrupt files. Also went directly to the HP website to check and see what audio drivers there were and there was three and and also the Chipset. Oddly I thought... it indicated a "generic" driver which may have not agreed with the computers software/hardware? dunno?!
I am not astute with Windows 10 and much more familiar with 7.
Look here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-g7-1100-notebook-pc-series/5082232/model/5128929
I'm not certain what differences there would be seeing the computer was Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and how that may affect any of the suggest downloads listed in the above link?
it was having difficulty allowing me to change the Defaults to the speakers and Applying it. The area that should not have been completely grayed out with the Default tab was that way.
Is there any "specific" software downloads that would or may have a direct correlation to this issue?
Thanks again, Raphael

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

If you unplug the headphones the speakers still don't work, correct?

It looks like HP doesn't have Windows 10 drivers available for your computer, at least from the link Windows 7 was the only option I saw.

Have you tried deleting the sound card from Device Manger and restarting the computer?  This will cause Windows to detect the card when it boots and attempt to install the correct drivers.

You can also check the Sound settings in Control Panel to see if the speakers are disabled.

#5 DadaMan

DadaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Thank You!

Apparently this can be quite complex. How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10
I know somewhere along the line I noticed "generic" drivers. Any drivers I downloaded were from the HP website. The troubleshooter that was used as I recall was for Windows 10 and not 7. 
This is not an isolated issue with HP alone several other brands have been affected by this issue. 
We got the speakers to work as of Saturday into yesterday afternoon, but by Sunday evening my brother called me back and said the speakers were not working again. I don't have the computer in front of me and I'm not certain what he has done when I'm not there?!?
It's seem like a farce to me that all this is happening for something that should be so simple..It has to be a blunder of some sort by M$. He never had this issue until the Upgrade which I personally did not allow M$ to do. I used the GWX control panel. FWIW.. I have 0-3 (Locations) for my NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers and I have no audio issues.
I'm waiting to hear back from my brother.
Sincerely, Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users