Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music player for Google G-Mail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:32 AM

After many years of using  Orange  e-mail provider (formerly Freeserve / Wannadoo ) Orange is now pulling the plug on all it's e-mail services.

I now have a Google gmail account ( 2 days) & i'm still coming to terms with it's ways.

As a semi-pro musician who plays with others on a fairly regular basis,i'm used to sending & receiving music mp3's via e-mail - ''tunes to learn''. While it seems that i can attach an mp3 to a gmail,i can't play it before i send it. Using Orange via Windows Live Mail,i simply double clicked on the mp3 & Win.Media Player played it.  Is there a way that i can do the same with gmail ?,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm a bit confused, as you should be able to play an MP3 file that's already on your computer using whatever media player you wish just by double clicking on it.  This would be done, of course, before you attach it.  Once it's attached you can use the same technique I describe below for recipients of audio files.

If you receive an MP3 (or any file recognized as audio) as an attachment in Gmail it will show the little speaker icon on the attachment itself.  If you click on that icon the Google media player pops up as an overlay and begins playing the content of said attachment.  In most cases I just download immediately and use my media player of choice to deal with them, but if you want to hear snippets of what someone's sent before choosing which to download that's easy to do in the Gmail web interface as a recipient of an audio file.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

An mp3 or 'whatever' received by me via Google mail isn't on my PC, it's on Google mail & i'd usually download it to play it. My problem is in sending one. I can play an mp3  / wav file etc. PRIOR to attaching it to a g-mail but not afterwards to make sure it's ok.

''Google media player '' - what's that ?. I've not been able to find one hence my question. But does it work only for 'received' music files ?. I've not yet received one to try out,but obviously i will.

My problem is :- I've composed a g-mail & attached an mp3 file, i want to play it prior to sending it 'within the g-mail context' - how do i do it ?.

Many thanks for the tip on the Google media player Brian - if i get sent a music file,i'll check it out,

Regards

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,890 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Saska,

The same technique is used after you've attached an MP3.

Clicking on the miniature speaker icon is all there is to it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hi Brian -  After adding an mp3 to a g-mail,there is NO speaker icon shown. The icon IS there when i receive one. Unfortunately,i don't seem to be able to add a  picture of my screen print to show you. To add an 'image' requires it to have a URL -  PC screen prints don't have one !.

Maybe an attchment function on here would be helpful ?

The reason i 'need' to be able to play an mp3 as an attchment,is that in many cases i have several different versions of a song / tune & it's simply a way of making sure i'm sending the right one.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,890 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Saska,

You are correct in that the little speaker icon doesn't come up for messages you're composing until you're looking at them in the Sent folder.  There is no real reason for this to work in the composition window because you can and should listen to what you're about to attach via your native media player before you attach it.  That saves the time of uploading it if it's the wrong one.

The presumption, and it's a reasonable one, is that one knows what one wishes to attach before one attaches it and that checking audio files should have been done before they were attached to send.

The listening is possible in the Inbox and the Sent folder because a recipient may not wish to download a given attachment and someone who sent a sound file as an attachment some time ago may have no idea of exactly what it's content was.  When you're in the moment of sending it's presumed you know what you're sending and why, not checking that what you're about to send is correct after you've attached it.

One can attach files to a Gmail message via drag and drop out of a file explorer window.  You don't need to use the attach files button.  If you need to know that what you're attaching is correct then just double click on it in the file explorer window and it will play in your default media player.  If it's correct then just drag that file over on top of your message in the compose window and it will attach.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

Hello Brian - Many thanks for taking the time to help out.  I'm so used to having everything 'on board' using Win.Live mail that i've been spoiled !!  Everything i've sent  via g-mail (try outs) has arrived safe & well & correctly. I agree,everything should be checked out before attaching it - but these days i double check everything. Most of the songs/tunes i'm sending are American 'Old Timey / Bluegrass' music mp3's & as i mentioned,very often i have maybe 3 or more versions of a song/tune.

I wasn't aware of the 'drag & drop' function - i'll give it a try. It's early days in ''g-mail'' right now,no doubt i'll get used to it in time,

Again - many thanks  :guitar:

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

Saska,

You're quite welcome.

Transitions between e-mail providers and products are always fraught because we get "on autopilot" when it comes to using specific features.  My personal reaction when you described what you had been doing was, "Why in the world is he or she doing that?!!  Don't they listen to what they're going to attach before attaching it?!!," because I've never worked with an e-mail interface or client that allowed the person doing the attaching to do so.  My expectation, as a result, is that one did one's listening prior to attaching, not afterward.  It's all in what we're used to.

Some of the fun for me in participating here is trying to figure out ways to do things that I'd never have dreamed of doing myself but that are clearly a part of someone else's routine that they need to find a way to do again.

But, where there's a will there's a way and you can essentially replicate at least somewhat closely what you used to do, just via slight rearrangement of your steps.  Once you're in that groove it will feel like you've never been anywhere else.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users