Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Riaa Doesn't Like Independent Experts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

For the past few years, the Recording Industry Association of America has battled file sharing by threatening those it suspects of illegally downloading music with lawsuits.Many potential defendants opt for expensive settlements with the RIAA, others decide to fight it out in court.9/3/2006 4:51:16 PM, by Eric Bangeman In the case of Sony BMG et al. v. Kim Arellanes, the RIAA is using another tactic: strenuously arguing (PDF) against the defendant's request that a neutral, third-party perform a forensic search of the defendant's hard drive to find evidence that she engaged in activities frowned upon by the music industry.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Does the Riaa like anybody? Just asking....

The only people benefitting from all of this are the lawyers...this case just bought them another yacht! :thumbsup:

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

With the amount of lawsuits and stuff from them I would say the yatch, the mansion and the rolls royce phantom...:thumbsup:

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Eh... I'll soon be out of the country. It wont matter to me :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 melsevier

melsevier

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

The FBI is cracking down on all P2P Networks. The families of the kids that have been doing this behind Mom and Dads back are having to settle out of court to keep themselves as well as their kids out of prison. Most are paying $40,000 to settle. The Networks themselves are paying several million for damages.

Since they have already had such victories as this, it will only get worse! They are forcing the Networks to release their log files to them and if you IP Address is among them you could have Big Brother knocking at your door.

If that happens don't say a word. When they say they just want to help you, they mean through the system and that means PRISON!

#6 melsevier

melsevier

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

If you would like to hear the good news and what can be done legally, contact me directly at;

melsevier@gmail.com

The moderators of this site will not let me say more. Another Big Brother Watching.....

Mark

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,572 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

No, we are removing your posts before you are spamming the topic with your commercial links which are not allowed at this site as per the discussion rules.

#8 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Im too young to go to prison they'll throw me in Juvi....im killing Limewire off this computer....every file....

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Update--Sony and the RIAA lost this one:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061027-8095.html

Judge Schell disagreed with the RIAA's reasoning, ordering the parties to find a neutral computer forensics expert who will look for evidence of infringement. Sony et al. will pay for the examination and will be able to suggest specific search methodologies to the forensics expert.

It's a small victory, but it could be a significant one if it serves as a precedent for other file-sharing litigation.

There are two sides to every debate--I'm all for protecting copywrites, but the way the major rercord and media corporations are going about it is rather draconian and consider that they don't represent every artist's best interest. They are more concerned about lost income for upper level management, producers, etc. I have more respect for small labels that keep the rights with the artists and a larger chunk of royalties. Consider this blurb from DMG when it was still new:

"The phonographic copyright in these performances is operated by Discipline Global Mobile on behalf of the artists, with whom it resides. Discipline accepts no reason for artists to give away such copyright interests in their work by virtue of a 'common practice' which is out of tune with the time, was always questionable and is now indefensible."

http://www.cgtrio.com/art-bldr.htm

I suppose even that is now outdated, as it no longer appears on CD covers. Technological change and legal distribution over the internet may eventually put the RIAA in the same domain as the dodo bird. They have outlived their usefullness, IMHO. Why and when did this change?
http://www.vintagerock.com/jwetton_interview.aspx

People in the record business had such a shake-out where they said, “It can’t be run by hippies anymore; but now we’re gonna get serious; we gonna have it run by lawyers.” And that’s exactly what happened. From the end of 1979 well into the mid 80s, every major record that came out was attached to a movie. And if it wasn’t, it was treated like a movie. Instead of selling a 100,000 records and everybody being happy, no one was happy unless it went into multiple millions.

I'm not being an apologist for file-sharing--far from it. Use of filesharing program is high risk--in several ways, among them being that many files are infected with trojans. But not all file-sharing is illegal, and in the case of music, it just shows respect for the artists to give a few cents for their effort. Instead of using a filesharing network, Google for the artist you are interested in--you'll most likely find you can obtain your music on their own sites, some of it for free.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users