Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect - Linux / Windows PE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trimmer1

trimmer1

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm using Macrium Reflect free v.5.3.7299 - It's the very last version of v.5. It was released [April 7, 2015]. I've restored my entire PC a few times, Reflect worked exceptionally well. I keep #2 backups on a Toshiba Canvio 1 TB external drive. I made #2 Linux rescue DVDs, one for safe-keeping.

I haven't kept Reflect up to date because it has (had) no Linux rescue CD/DVD option. I think Windows PE is the best way to go, but I know nothing about it. I have a faster DSL now, and Windows PE would download fairly quick. It's 162.9 MB.

Does anyone know if the new version of Macrium Reflect has the option to make a Linux rescue CD/DVD? Version 6.3.1745 is current at Macrium website. I noticed at MajorGeeks they have version 7.0.1967.
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Thanks in advance, best regards,
 -Roy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

The Macrium rescue disk is now Windows PE only. Reflect does all of the heavy lifting to create the recovery iimage including downloading the neccessary files and tools from Microsoft, integrating any neccessary extra drivers, so you dont have to fiddle wth the disk if you don't want to.

I'm a V7 home paid version user. I think Majorgeeks may have jumped the gun a bit on saying v7 free was out - I think it's on the cards for the near future but not official yet.

V7 is quite new and there have been a few teething issues, but they are being sorted out very quickly (one minor V7 bug that I made the first report for was patched in about 36 hours!

x64

#3 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, the v.7 at MajorGeeks is not what I downloaded, I got it from Macrium website. It's only 2.94 MB - I just watched a video and I understand how to set it up, but the Windows PE thing is confusing to me, real confusing. I've read extensively, but I'm dyslexic....all the info flew right over my head. Someone could tell me how to do it, I would probably understand that way. I can keep the old version I have, but I prefer keeping it up to date. I like the Linux rescue CD, I put it in and the display shows up on reboot. Windows PE: Does it use a CD/DVD? If something happens to my PC & don't boot to Windows, how or where is it retrieved? - I know it's (probably) real easy. If I had a friend come over & show me how, I would catch on the first time. Of the few people I know, I know more about W 7 and a PC in general. Have a good Friday evening, best regards,

-Roy

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:15 AM

Windows PE is just a cut down version of Windows useful for booting a system just enough for recovery tools to run. It's the preferred way to do that kind of thing these days. The recovery media will present you with a Macrium reflect like interface, so for routine restores there is no need to interact with PE directly if you one want to. 

I'd not get too hung up on "oh my god - it's Windows PE!", as I said Macrium does all of the downloads and heavy lifting for you to create rescue media, and the defaults for the recovery media build wizard are pretty good for 'ordinary' computers. If your system uses a disk driver which is non standard (my system uses the Intel RAID driver for instance) you may need to point Macrium to it, and if your system uses Bitlocker, there is an important tick box to tick. On the first page of the wizard you need to confirm the Windows PE version to use, but it does not just leave you with an unintelligible choice of numbers, it explains why you might choose the various options.

The recovery media can be CD/DVD or USB. I'm old fashioned and prefer a CD, I can hold in my hand and KNOW will not accidentally be repurposed (except well, as a Coffee coaster maybe!). If you choose CD/DVD, Macrium will burn the disk for you (no need to mess with other CD burning tools, but you can save an ISO image of the recovery disk and keep that elsewhere if you wish).

Walking through setting up recovery media is covered on the following link:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Creating+rescue+media

(and other topics around it in the article tree-view on the left are also relevant)

As with anything in disaster recovery, testing your plan is important.... So once the recovery disk is prepared, you should ensure that it boots and that you can at least find your backup sets using it.

The current free version is still officially 6. Free V7 is on the way but Macrium are busy looking after their paid v7 users at present.

x64

Edited by x64, 09 April 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#5 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

x64: I got to the part where it asks where to save Windows PE - Do I let Macrium download it to my hard drive or "browse" and let it install to my external drive, where I keep #2 full (50 GB compressed) saved backups? Sorry, I believe I mentioned I'm slow to catch on to things. On another note, the download at Macrium website says v.6 but properties say "ReflectDL" (7.0.1967.0) - I can let Macrium update Itself. I'll read this (link) tutorial again. I wish I knew someone to show me ONE time and I'd be sitting pretty. Been up all night, I'll try again tomorrow, regards,

-Roy

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

I'd really recommend letting Macrium do it's own thing in downloading PE and saving it where it wants. It the download will be needed again if you need to build another rescue disk (which arguably should be done after Macrium updates - well maybe rebuilding the disk after every few updaes would be a fair balance)

x64

#7 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

I let Macrium update itself, it got the Win PE (162 MB in about 25 minutes) - I deleted my oldest backup, off my Toshiba external drive. All went real well. I made a Win. PE rescue on a DVD-RW.......it was about 360 MB. I can tell you, I DO NOT LIKE counting on CD/DVDs, so, like THE dumb-ass I am, I tried to put another PE rescue on my Toshiba 1 TB drive. It scattered throughout the drive. I went to boot my PC up and it would not boot to Windows. It didn't take me long to figure out it was trying to boot from the rescue on my Toshiba external drive. I could have just unplugged it, but I put my (old) Linux rescue DVD in, and somehow Macrium v6 recognized it & restored my PC back to (before) I ever updated Macrium Reflect.

I have an 8 GB SanDisc Cruzer thumb drive, but it's old and sometimes it just fails. I have a bunch of software (3.7 GB) setups on it, like WPS Office.exe, K-Lite Codec Pack....exe's, zips, mp3s...huge exe's, etc. Just to see when and how long it takes to crash. I can reformat it because t/things I have on it are just duplicate files I already have on my Toshiba and my PCs HDD.

Well, I know how to use Win PE now. My SanDisc Cruzer hasn't failed in about #5 months, I'll wipe it and keep #1 Win. PE rescue (only) on it. I'll buy a new thumb drive, no problem there. I have a 2 TB external drive....but one day I was cleaning the carpet and I accidentally plugged my Creative Inspire's sub-woofer jack in it and it fried the wiring. I can put it inside my PC, it has a 'bay' w/room for #2 HDD's, other than my PCs 454 GB HDD.

Thanks very much, everyone, regards,
-Roy PS, whoever can check this as "solved". There may be a button for me to hit (solved), I'll look in later, someone may want to reply.

Edited by trimmer1, 10 April 2017 - 04:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users