Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for iPod Combination Cable

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

A few years ago when my iPod Touch was new, I also bought a cable which consists of a standard iPod Sync Cable plug which is then split into two wires: One is a wire with a standard stereo earbud plug and the other is a wire with a standard USB plug which I use to charge my iPod via my laptop while listening. I can't recall from whom I bought it. I would like to get another one for the car so I can charge my iPod while listening. I would deeply appreciate it if someone could provide a link to someone who sells such a cable. I'm sure part of my lack of success is that I've got to use perfectly correct terminology in a lot of search boxes or it comes up empty. I don't know exactly what it's called. Thanks. 

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2017 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from A/V Apps to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

A few years ago when my iPod Touch was new, I also bought a cable which consists of a standard iPod Sync Cable plug which is then split into two wires: One is a wire with a standard stereo earbud plug and the other is a wire with a standard USB plug which I use to charge my iPod via my laptop while listening. I can't recall from whom I bought it. I would like to get another one for the car so I can charge my iPod while listening. I would deeply appreciate it if someone could provide a link to someone who sells such a cable. I'm sure part of my lack of success is that I've got to use perfectly correct terminology in a lot of search boxes or it comes up empty. I don't know exactly what it's called. Thanks.

Maybe I am not understanding, but you should still be able to use the headphone jack on the iPod Touch while charging it. There should be no adapter or special cable needed. The only iPod/iPhone/iPad that has ever shipped without a headphone jack is the iPhone 7 that only has a Lightning connector and no headphone jack. All other iPods/iPhones/iPads will have a headphone jack that can be used while charging the device using either the 30 pin connector (older devices) or Lightning connector (newer) devices. Thus, you should be able to charge your iPod Touch while still using the headphone jack to listen to the iPod Touch through headphones (not advisable typically when driving a car, ESPECIALLY with an headphones that might provide any sort of noise canceling effect) or connected to a stereo in the car through an auxiliary port.

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

It isn't a question of, "How else can I do it?" It's a question of, " I have this cable right here in front of me, where can I get another one?"

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

It isn't a question of, "How else can I do it?" It's a question of, " I have this cable right here in front of me, where can I get another one?"

And my point is that you should not need such a cable at all. All you should need is a car charge plug that will work with a standard iPod charge/sync cable (or one that includes the cable with the car charger plug if you don't have a spare sync cable or don't want to get one). There is no special "splitter" cable needed for what you want to do.

Of course, if you want to chase down such a cable, then that is your right. It just seems like way more work than is needed unless there is some specific reason why that option works better for you (like maybe being able to leave the charge cable plugged into the car at all times, even when not driving the car, and have the headphones or cable to the radio left plugged into that charge cable at all times...and thus just need to plug in the iPod when you get in the car). But, then I cannot read your mind as to what specific reason you might have, so I offered what seemed like a simplier, less hassle way of do what it seemed like you were trying to accomplish. I apologize for trying to help.

If you do want to chase that such a cable, there here is option for a Lightning connector iPod Touch:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Adapter-iPhone-Charger-Earphone/dp/B06XP7B3ML/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1493317241&sr=8-11&keywords=ipod+touch+car+charger+with+audio+out

Here is an option for a 30 pin iPod Touch that allow for connecting to a car radio (you would need an adapter for using headphones with it):

https://www.amazon.com/Inovat-AUX-Cable-Apple-iPhone/dp/B01FO42KDG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1493317241&sr=8-16&keywords=ipod+touch+car+charger+with+audio+out

Note: You did not specify whether you have a 30 pin connector iPod Touch or a Lightning connector iPod Touch.

Not sure if either is what you are looking for, but that is what I found with a two minute search on Amazon. That is about all the time I am willing to spend chasing down such a cable. If neither is what you are after, then you can certain speed more time searching. Also, I have no clue how well either works either.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

" I have this cable right here in front of me, where can I get another one?"

Oh, and if you really want a cable that matches what you have and hope that people might help you search for it, then your best bet might be to take a picture of it and post that picture so that people can see what you see. Again, I cannot read your mind.

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

I'll stand on my previous answer. Unsubscribing. 

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'll stand on my previous answer. Unsubscribing.

That is your choice. I am trying to be helpful, but I can only help so much with limited information...I don't know what you know except for what you tell me and cannot see what you see unless you post a cable. Your description was rather limited, so I tried to help as best I could from that limited information. That ultimately included some links to items that fit your rather loose description of your current cable. With out more information, that was the best I could do. If that is not good enough, then so be it.

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

I understand and appreciate your effort. Perhaps in the interest of avoiding a long explanation, I haven't explained enough. 

I have a Sony car stereo that will supersede the equalizer and volume of my iPod Touch with its own equalizer and volume controls, and import a perfectly flat signal from that iPod Touch, as long as I connect using the standard iPod Touch plug to earphone plug cable, not the iPod's earphone jack. Were I to use the earphone jack, I would have to make manual adjustments to the iPod in order to defeat its equalizer and pre-set its volume. Also, from what I've read, the signal coming out of the earphone jack, even with the iPod's equalizer off, still isn't flat, as opposed to that coming from the iPod's main jack.

All of this works fine as long as the iPod is charged up already. With the iPod cable already in use, the iPod can't be charged 'on the fly'. With this cable it can be connected to my stereo and be plugged into the USB charging box on my dash simultaneously. I've used the cable identical to the one I'm looking for in the car but I don't want to have to switch from home to car stereo constantly.

The cable I actually have is connected from my iPod to both a USB port on this laptop for charging and to my Harman/Kardon pre amp for music. It can play music and charge at the same time.

With all due respect, I'm not looking for 10 other ways to accomplish this, or the merits of doing it some other way. I'm simply looking for this cable. There are no markings on it of any kind. If I only knew exactly what it was called I may be able to find it. Search boxes are touchy. I have to have the exact terminology or it has no idea. Thanks again.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

I understand and appreciate your effort. Perhaps in the interest of avoiding a long explanation, I haven't explained enough. 
I have a Sony car stereo that will supersede the equalizer and volume of my iPod Touch with its own equalizer and volume controls, and import a perfectly flat signal from that iPod Touch, as long as I connect using the standard iPod Touch plug to earphone plug cable, not the iPod's earphone jack. Were I to use the earphone jack, I would have to make manual adjustments to the iPod in order to defeat its equalizer and pre-set its volume. Also, from what I've read, the signal coming out of the earphone jack, even with the iPod's equalizer off, still isn't flat, as opposed to that coming from the iPod's main jack.
All of this works fine as long as the iPod is charged up already. With the iPod cable already in use, the iPod can't be charged 'on the fly'. With this cable it can be connected to my stereo and be plugged into the USB charging box on my dash simultaneously. I've used the cable identical to the one I'm looking for in the car but I don't want to have to switch from home to car stereo constantly.
The cable I actually have is connected from my iPod to both a USB port on this laptop for charging and to my Harman/Kardon pre amp for music. It can play music and charge at the same time.
With all due respect, I'm not looking for 10 other ways to accomplish this, or the merits of doing it some other way. I'm simply looking for this cable. There are no markings on it of any kind. If I only knew exactly what it was called I may be able to find it. Search boxes are touchy. I have to have the exact terminology or it has no idea. Thanks again.

That makes sense and helps a lot. None of that was evident from your initial post. Your initial post suggested that maybe you would just using headphones (i.e. the reference to the "earbud plug"), thus leading me to assumptions. With this explanation, what you want makes a lot of sense.

And the iPod Touch connector will should bypass the iPod Touch's DAC (digital audio convertor) and use the radio's. This is likely what you mean. The headphone jack does not.

Now, there is still one piece of information you still have not provided. Does your iPod Touch have a Lightning connector or the old style 30 pin connector?

Also, did you look at the links I provided in my second post. Either should do what you want, although the one for a Lighting connector would also need a mini-headphone jack to mini-headphone jack cable (I could did not see an option with the head phone jack included) and would also still need a separate charge cable and car charger plug (again my quick search did not show one with a charging cable attached). If need a Lightning connector and want all the included cables permanently attached, then I can go back and look some more along that line (something I am willing to do when I know specifically what I am looking for). In other words, if you are locked into trying to exactly (or as close as possible) replicate what you have, then I will need to either see a picture of it or a better description to make sure I know specifically what you are looking for. Otherwise I am left potentially finding "how else I can I do it" ways that you don't want and thus wasting my time and yours.

Edit: I did find this one with a Lighting connector that has all the cables attached, but would still need a car charger plug...it does not have great reviews either:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Charging-Stereo-Auxiliary-Stereos/dp/B01N2BAI2X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493329180&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+car+charger+with+audio+out

Last question...I assume your Sony stereo does not have a USB port that supports USB audio. Is that a correct assumption? My Alpine does and that is how I hook up my iPhone in the car, which charges it and gives me a "flat" signal that bypasses the iPhone's DAC and uses the Alpine head unit's DAC, so I understand what you are after with the more detailed explanation. If for some reason my assumption is wrong, then your best option would be to use the USB port on the radio unless the iPod just won't work with it. Again, I am assuming your head unit does not have that, but wanted to double check.

Edited by smax013, 27 April 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for responding. To answer your questions first:

1) I think it has the "old style 30 pin connector". It's an iPod Touch Version 6.1.6 (10B500) with the wide, flat iPod plug. I checked the Amazon link you supplied above and the iPod connector is much narrower than on the cables I have. 

2) The stereo does not have its own USB port. That would have been too easy. That's why I had my mechanic hard wire a box with 2 USB ports into the dash of my '94 Lebaron convertible. Without the cable I'm looking for, I can charge it while listening via the earphone jack but the quality of sound is noticeably deficient. Whether the car stereo receives the signal from the main jack or the earphone jack makes quite a difference. 

Ironically, the car stereo comes with an iPod clip that does the same thing as the cable I'm looking for, and when using the clip, the iPod fits in a drawer behind the removable faceplate of the stereo so no one even knows it's there. That's why I bought that stereo in the first place. The problem is that when using the clip and having the iPod and stereo on 'Shuffle", it will work perfectly for a while and then, for no reason, latch onto a song from 'Shuffle' mode, change the mode on the stereo from 'Shuffle' to 'Album', and endlessly play all cuts from that album that happen to also be in the iPod.

It likes "American Beauty" so much that I had to remove all cuts from that album because it would happen almost every time a song from it came on. That's why I don't use the clip. I can't be pulling over every 20 minutes to correct the problem. 

I hope the background info helps. I didn't include it originally because I was skeptical that it would be considered long winded, useless detail.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for responding. To answer your questions first:
1) I think it has the "old style 30 pin connector". It's an iPod Touch Version 6.1.6 (10B500) with the wide, flat iPod plug. I checked the Amazon link you supplied above and the iPod connector is much narrower than on the cables I have.

That sounds like a 30 pin connector. That would be consistent with an iPod Touch running iOS 6.1.6, which is about a 5 year old version of iOS and was long before the Lightning connector was introduced. To be sure, this is what a 30 pin connector slot looks like (see the wide slot on the black iPod Touch in the image...kind of hard to see...the 30 pin connector will be about an inch wide):

apple-ipod-touch-5g.jpg

And this is what the 30 pin connector on a charging/sync cable will look like:

30pin.jpg

OTOH, this is what a Lightning connector on a charge/sync cable looks like (it is about 1/4 of an inch wide):

220px-Lightning_connector.jpg

2) The stereo does not have its own USB port. That would have been too easy. That's why I had my mechanic hard wire a box with 2 USB ports into the dash of my '94 Lebaron convertible. Without the cable I'm looking for, I can charge it while listening via the earphone jack but the quality of sound is noticeably deficient. Whether the car stereo receives the signal from the main jack or the earphone jack makes quite a difference.

This additional information tells me that you do not need a car charger plug for the cigarette light socket and the power charging end of the cable can end in a USB port. So, assuming it is a 30 pin connector, then the item that I linked to in the second link in post #4 above should nominally be what you are looking for and might be similar to what you currently have. Go back up to post #4 (this link will take you there) and check out the second link in that post.

Ironically, the car stereo comes with an iPod clip that does the same thing as the cable I'm looking for, and when using the clip, the iPod fits in a drawer behind the removable faceplate of the stereo so no one even knows it's there. That's why I bought that stereo in the first place. The problem is that when using the clip and having the iPod and stereo on 'Shuffle", it will work perfectly for a while and then, for no reason, latch onto a song from 'Shuffle' mode, change the mode on the stereo from 'Shuffle' to 'Album', and endlessly play all cuts from that album that happen to also be in the iPod.
It likes "American Beauty" so much that I had to remove all cuts from that album because it would happen almost every time a song from it came on. That's why I don't use the clip. I can't be pulling over every 20 minutes to correct the problem.

Built-in iPod/iPhone support does seem to have quirks at times with third party car stereos.

I have my share of quirks when using my iPhone with my Alpine. For whatever reason, it regularly forgets what the iPhone was last playing when I reconnect it and will resort to playing the first song alphabetically in my library (ABC by the Jackson 5...don't judge :grinner:). This is even though the Music app "knows" the last song that I played and theoretically it should pick up right where it last stopped...and sometimes it does. I believe the issue is that when I connect the iPhone to the head unit, it is the head unit that controls what is being played (through the Music app). Sometimes it then remembers where it was (typically if the car has only been sitting there unused for short period of time...i.e. when I run into a store, etc) while other times it does not (typically after the car has not been used for long periods of time). But, it is not always consistent.

The other quirk is that sometimes when I advance a song or go back a song, it will leave the playlist that I am playing. I believe this is again tied into how I starting playing the playlist...i.e. whether I started it through the car stereo interface or directly on the iPhone.

So, I too encounter quirks with built-in iPod/iPhone support with my radio. I am not sure if quirk is the radio or the iPhone. This can be an argument to do what you are doing by using the aux input (my radio has one as well), but then in my case, I can control the iPhone with my steering wheel controls (i.e. forward or back a song at least).

I hope the background info helps. I didn't include it originally because I was skeptical that it would be considered long winded, useless detail.

Personally, I never consider anything long winded, but then I tend to be long winded myself. :grinner: In all seriousness, when asking people for help on a forum, it is generally better to give more details than less (this is kind of also suggested in the BC Welcome Guide under item #5 in the form of "...please be as detailed as possible..."). As I alluded to in some of my previous posts in this thread, someone helping you will only know what you tell them. And many times what might seem obvious to you is only obvious to you because you are sitting there in front of the computer or device, while we are not. For example, in this case, without knowing what kind of connector your iPod Touch has, there was no way I could really find you that cable or something similar without making some assumptions and/or spending more time exploring both options. And beyond that, I then did not know if you need the car cigarette adapter or not (or if just a USB plug would be enough) until you mentioned that you did have USB power ports installed. Nor did I know if you were using headphones (which then the headphone jack likely would have been enough) or plugging into an auxiliary port of a car stereo...I actually assumed (and made a you know what of me) the former based upon your phrasing in the original post, thus the suggestion to just use the headphone jack that you did not appreciate.

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

That's it! I followed the link for 30 pin from your response above. Thank you so much! Actually, the one I have is the black one listed under the description for the item in the 'Frequently Purchased Together' section. As a matter of fact, I'm sending a link to that item, which shows I purchased it on December 20th, 2012.That's what I meant about how precise you have to be when searching Amazon previous orders. I would have had to enter the exact description. That's why I couldn't find it.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-30pin-Cable-Iphone/dp/B00490OVM0/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00490OVM0&pd_rd_r=4DE614APER739N5HBXAZ&pd_rd_w=ElpiK&pd_rd_wg=8Fldf&psc=1&refRID=4DE614APER739N5HBXAZ

Can't thank you enough. 

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

That's it! I followed the link for 30 pin from your response above. Thank you so much! Actually, the one I have is the black one listed under the description for the item in the 'Frequently Purchased Together' section. As a matter of fact, I'm sending a link to that item, which shows I purchased it on December 20th, 2012.That's what I meant about how precise you have to be when searching Amazon previous orders. I would have had to enter the exact description. That's why I couldn't find it.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-30pin-Cable-Iphone/dp/B00490OVM0/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00490OVM0&pd_rd_r=4DE614APER739N5HBXAZ&pd_rd_w=ElpiK&pd_rd_wg=8Fldf&psc=1&refRID=4DE614APER739N5HBXAZ

Can't thank you enough.

Glad to help.

For future reference, Amazon is REALLY good at tracking past purchases (as you kind of discovered when you got to the page of the item you purchased before). You can tap into that by going to your Orders on the Amazon page (link to your orders should be in the upper right corner of the Amazon page, close to the cart). And you can then either just scroll through all your past orders (that can be time consuming if you order a lot) or you can search your orders. And since you would be searching just your own orders, you don't have to be as precise with your search terms as there should be WAY, WAY less items in your order history than on all of Amazon's website. So, in this case, you like could have searched your orders for "ipod" and that item should have been one of the only items found (if not the only item) since it had iPod in the name.

#14 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Been with Amazon since 2012. Recently received an email from Customer Service saying I had a valid point. You have to know the year you purchased it or it comes up blank. The default is Last 6 Months but then goes year by year, forcing you to enter another year and retype the search box every time you guess wrong. I suggested 'Ever' as the default, rather than having to know the year. That way, if you've ever ordered it, it would come up. For what it's worth, they're looking into doing just that, according to them. I've placed 136 orders with them in just the last 6 months.Got another email from them last month on saving over $500 in shipping last year. Big fan. Thanks again. 

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Been with Amazon since 2012. Recently received an email from Customer Service saying I had a valid point. You have to know the year you purchased it or it comes up blank. The default is Last 6 Months but then goes year by year, forcing you to enter another year and retype the search box every time you guess wrong. I suggested 'Ever' as the default, rather than having to know the year. That way, if you've ever ordered it, it would come up. For what it's worth, they're looking into doing just that, according to them. I've placed 136 orders with them in just the last 6 months.Got another email from them last month on saving over $500 in shipping last year. Big fan. Thanks again.

That is strange. When I go to the Orders page, there is a search box that says "Search all orders" where you type in your search query text. When I do a search, it will pull up items that contain that search query text from any year. For example, if I search for "netgear", I get items ordered from 2016, 2012, and 2011 in the search results. No need for me to manually adjust for year.

Now, if I want to just scroll through the orders, then I do need specify a year to scroll through or either the past 30 days or 6 months. Then the list of orders to scroll through will ONLY before that time period selected. But, even if I select say 2016 from that pulldown menu and then enter a search term in the search orders field, it will return any order from any time that matches the search criteria.

As another example, I searched for "calendar" and got orders from 2016, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, and 2009 for my orders of a wall calendar for the upcoming year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users