Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspect infection; despite Malwarebytes never finding anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blockinlick

Blockinlick

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

A couple months ago, water got spilled on my PC [Win7]; so naturally I've been assuming that my issues were hardware related.
I suspect now, however, that that may not be the case entirely, as hardware failure shouldn't be temporarily fixed with a reboot or always fail within the same time-frame after said reboots.

The two big issues I am having right now are wireless access point issues and weirdly, my sound muting/failing on me.

The wireless connectivity issue always seems to happen roughly an hour after a reboot or startup; but I haven't ruled out possible overheating as a cause. (Even though, to the touch, the PC and its internal parts are cool to the touch). Things became suspicious when I noticed that there are moments when I can't connect to any other site than Facebook. I can scroll my feed as long as I like, watch the videos, load pictures, start a new Facebook tab and still do all of the above on Facebook, but if I try to load any other website, I get a connection failed redirect. This may be an unrelated incident from the access point issue, as I'll still have an internet connection while I'm experiencing this.

When the access point issue arrives; there seems to be no troubleshooting fix. Disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't work and troubleshooting it just leads to the "Check your wireless access points" dead end. The only fix seems to be a reboot, which seems odd for a hardware issue.

The sound issues are very weird to me; but I'd say that if anything was failed hardware, this probably is. Once every 10-20 minutes, my sound will cut off and the sound icon on the task bar will have an X appear on it. When I click the icon, it immediately runs the "Detecting/Resolving problems" windows and it fixes itself. Again, 10-20 minutes later, it will fail again and I have to keep repeating this over and over.

Whether or not any or all of this is malware related is unclear; but it's suspect enough to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blockinlick

Blockinlick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Nothing?

#3 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Blockinlick:

I suspect that the reason why there haven't been any replies to your query is because the symptoms that you are describing are not normally associated with a malware infection.  The volunteers here are very busy, and in fact, overwhelmed at times, by all of the posts from our members seeking assistance with malware issues.

So I suggest that we run some standard anti-malware scans to identify any possible malware, and if any is detected, we will remove it.  Once malware is identified, or eliminated, as a possible culprit, then we will have to look at other possible causes for the symptoms that you are describing, if malware is not the issue.

:step1: ESET Online Scanner using Internet Explorer:

Note 1: These instructions are for Internet Explorer only! If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you will need to download and install the ESET Smart Installer tool before it can scan. See instructions here.
Note 2: You will need to disable your currently installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be found here.

• Download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click the icon.
  • Check YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Click Advanced settings.
  • Check the following items.

Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications
Remove found threats
Scan archives
Scan for potentially unsafe applications
Enable Anti-Stealth technology

• Click Change next to Current scan targets:
  • Place a check mark in any additional drive you wish to scan then click OK.
  • Click Start.
  • ESET will then download updates and begin scanning your computer.
  • If no threats are found simply click Uninstall application on close and hit Finish.
  • If threats are found click List of found threats.
  • Click Export to text file.
  • Save the file on your Desktop as ESET.txt.
  • Click Back.
  • Check Uninstall application on close and Delete quarantined files.
  • Click Finish.
  • Close the ESET Online Scanner window.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESET.txt into your reply, if any threats were detected.

Don't forget to re-enable your antivirus when finished!

:step2: Please run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan for me.

• Please download Malwarebytes to your Desktop.
  • Double-click mb3-setup-1878.1878-3.5.1.2522.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • Then click Finish.
  • Next, please go to "Settings", "Protection", and turn on "Scan for rootkits", if it is not "On."
  • Then scroll to the bottom of that page and ensure that "Automatic Quarantine" is turned "On."
  • Once the program has fully updated, select Scan Now on the Dashboard. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
  • If an update of the definitions is available, it will be downloaded and installed before the scan commences.
  • When the scan is complete, make sure that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
  • Restart your computer when prompted to do so.
  • The Scan log is available through History ->Application logs. Please copy and paste the contents of the log into your next reply.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users