Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Stream Laptop- Boot Loop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Good Morning, Everyone!

My niece got a "hp stream laptop 11-y012nr" for this past Christmas. My sister went to do some update and now its stuck in a boot loop where it turns on.. Gets to the HP logo and then keeps repeating. I have tried hitting F2, F8 and F12 to get into some type of diagnostic mode but no luck

This thing has windows 10 on it. (info is attached to thread).

Anyone have any suggestions on getting this up and running again?

Attached File  streamlaptop.jpg   41.26KB   0 downloads

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

It is possible to do a reset with the option to keep your files but all your programs would need to be reinstalled. Tap F11 at boot to bring up the Recovery Option. 

If you do not want to do this then power on the computer and when you see the spinning circle press the power button to shutdown. Do this two or three times to bring up the Advanced Recovery Options and select Automatic Repair.

#3 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

It is possible to do a reset with the option to keep your files but all your programs would need to be reinstalled. Tap F11 at boot to bring up the Recovery Option. 

If you do not want to do this then power on the computer and when you see the spinning circle press the power button to shutdown. Do this two or three times to bring up the Advanced Recovery Options and select Automatic Repair.

Thanks, Will try that. I just called up my sister. She said that she tried to do some recovery thing and selected not to recover any files, so it looks like there is nothing that needs to be recovered. Will try both options you suggested, right now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

Worse case you can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Run it on any Windows 7 or later computer to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive and do a clean install.

Here is a guide for Windows 8. The same steps are good for 10. When it asks for a key do not input anything, just click next.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

#5 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

Worse case you can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Run it on any Windows 7 or later computer to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive and do a clean install.

Here is a guide for Windows 8. The same steps are good for 10. When it asks for a key do not input anything, just click next.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Thanks. I may have to go that route. I tried both of your options from your previous post. Neither seem to be working. There is never any spinning circle. Just blank screen then HP logo, then disappears. I tried powering off after teach time the HP logo appeared. No luck. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Do you get a screen when tapping Esc at boot? This should allow you to do Hardware Diagnostics. If the diagnostics shows something then I would send it back under warranty.

#7 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Do you get a screen when tapping Esc at boot? This should allow you to do Hardware Diagnostics. If the diagnostics shows something then I would send it back under warranty.

Yes. I was able to get into that. I tried that yesterday with no luck, but i just did it just now and i am running diagnostics/systems extensive test.. says 3hrs and 20 mins til complete or should I have just done a quick/fast one?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Go ahead and do the extensive test if you have the time. The extensive test would find something the quick misses.

#9 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Ok. Sounds good. I will just let it run its course. Thanks again. Will reply once it finishes. Typically with this type of test.. Does it fix any issues that it finds, on its own?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

No, it does not fix any issues. It will only tell you if you have a hardware problem. 

#11 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Ok. thx Back to waiting mode. 

#12 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Ok. it finished up and everything passed.. 

Still in bootloop.. I guess i can try the other thing you mentioned above about booting via usb

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

If you have trouble clean installing Windows 10 I can provide some commands from the install media that will set the hard drive up for a clean install.

#14 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

No luck with this either. USB drive was created successfully. I place into USB slots on laptop. . No messages about "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.." like you would normally see. and its still in a boot loop. I cant even get it to go back to the screen where i did the diagnostic.. 

So it comes to HP logo.  stays for maybe 3-4 seconds then goes away.. then repeats until i hit power button.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Tap F10 at boot to enter UEFI/BIOS settings and make sure to turn off Quick boot or Fast Boot if there is a setting for it.

Tap F9 at boot to bring up the boot menu. Select the USB device.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users