Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A fast and reliable Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anajames

anajames

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

Hello all,

I would like a recommendation on which External Hard drive is available for use. I do freelancing and have loads of files on my laptop had an internal 8 gb hard drive which is near to full now. 

Please recommend.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

You will probably get almost as many recommendations as there are responders.  I have liked the Toshiba Canvio portable line far better than the desktop units I've had from Fantom and Seagate.

The reality is that there are only three actual manufacturers of HDDs even though legacy brands have been maintained after acquisition for marketing.  The diagram that follows is taken from the wikipedia page on History of hard disc drives (near the end) and List of defunct hard disc manufacturers

800px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

Other than looking at test data that's out there you pretty much roll the dice and take your chances.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

8GB or 8TB?  If you're talking 8TB, that's a lot of data to risk on a portable solution.  Moving mechanical drives around is normally a recipe for data loss.

How much are you looking to spend on your solution?

An external SSD might be a better option, but the larger you go, the more you spend.  A 1TB external SSD for around $400 would be my sweet spot.  Then have a larger drive at home to store/backup your drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users