Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error occurred when trying to migrate outlook for mac to other mac.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurGilman

ArthurGilman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

I am updating from Macbook pro to new Macbook pro and want to migrate all Outlook for Mac 2015 emails to the new computer running the same Outlook for MAC.  When I use the export function it takes ages to complete and when I import to the new machine I am not able to see all the emails.
This is the error that I get:  "Error writing attachment to archive "/Users/ABDTSN/Desktop/Outlook for Mac Archive.olm".."
Is there any alternative fix for this issue or any other way I can back up the emails of Outlook for mac 2015 and transfer them across?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Technically, Outlook for Mac isn't a "real" Outlook client -- it leverages Outlook web access, so it's similar to what you would see if you connected to your Exchange mailbox using a web browser.

So you shouldn't have to migrate the .olm file -- anything that is saved in your mailbox on the server will populate in Outlook when you configure it on the new Mac. This would only be necessary if the .olm file is archiving emails that are not saved on the server.

It is possible that the .olm file is corrupt. This can happen with both .olm and .pst files when they become too large. How big is your .olm file?

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

This would only be necessary if the .olm file is archiving emails that are not saved on the server.

This would be true by default if the email account was a POP3 account, would it not?

I agree that if the any of the email accounts are IMAP accounts, then it should just be a matter of adding the account to Outlook on the new Mac and all the email should just shows up after adding the account(s) as they should still be on the server.

The other over all option is to use the Migration Assistant built into the macOS. This would be able to "migrate" Outlook (and its associated files) to the new Mac as well as any other data, applications, and system preferences that the original poster might want to transfer from the old Mac to the new one. This is what I regularly use when I get a new Mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users