Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Writing To A Cd - Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leehaa

Leehaa

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

You know how you manage to work your way up in a job without the need to ever do something basic and its never crossed your mind to try doing it because you haven't needed to for any reason...but then suddenly, you are expected to do it, but haven't a clue how?!?

Well it's just happened to me...the most embarassing thing!! :thumbsup:

I'm so embarassed I can't even ask anyone at work!!!

I've been asked to write some info to a disk and told there are plenty in the cupboard - but i've never written to a CD before and didn't know what to choose?!?

..so I chose a Maxell CD-R 80XL-S 700MB one....the problem is I sent the info (500MB worth) to the disk and the wizard said it's done, but when I got to check the disk, it looks like it's blank?!?

Does that mean I have the wrong type of disk?

please can someone help??

I'm so dreading that moment when my boss says "Have you done it yet?" because I don't want to look like an idiot and say I don't have a clue what I'm doing....

Cheers,

L

Edited by Leehaa, 05 September 2006 - 09:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

Have you checked the disk in Windows Explorer to ensure that it's not there?

When you use the CD writing wizard, it will eject the disk when it's done - did it eject for you?

How did you send it to the CD? Was it a shortcut or the actual file?

Here's how I do it:
1) Insert blank CD in the CD Writer drive
2) Cancel out of the autoplay popup that comes up.
3) Find the actual file (not a shortcut) and right click on it.
4) Select "Send to...", and then select the CD writer drive
5) Follow the CD writing wizard
6) When the disk pops out - check it in Windows Explorer to ensure that the data is there

If this doesn't work, just tell you boss "Darned Windows - stupid thing is crashing on me again! It's probably something to do with the registered dlls, but it'll take some research to fix it. I'll let you know when I've figgered it out." This usually confuses the heck out of a person who has no clue about what a dll is, or why they have to be registered! And it'll give you time to look into the problem! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Leehaa

Leehaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Have you checked the disk in Windows Explorer to ensure that it's not there?

When you use the CD writing wizard, it will eject the disk when it's done - did it eject for you?

How did you send it to the CD? Was it a shortcut or the actual file?

Here's how I do it:
1) Insert blank CD in the CD Writer drive
2) Cancel out of the autoplay popup that comes up.
3) Find the actual file (not a shortcut) and right click on it.
4) Select "Send to...", and then select the CD writer drive
5) Follow the CD writing wizard
6) When the disk pops out - check it in Windows Explorer to ensure that the data is there

If this doesn't work, just tell you boss "Darned Windows - stupid thing is crashing on me again! It's probably something to do with the registered dlls, but it'll take some research to fix it. I'll let you know when I've figgered it out." This usually confuses the heck out of a person who has no clue about what a dll is, or why they have to be registered! And it'll give you time to look into the problem! :inlove:

Thank you soooo much! I worked out how to do the wizard like you have mentioned.....it's just that.....wait for it......

LOL :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

The CD had ejected (as you said it would) and I hadn't realised it so was searching when the cd was ejected!!

I panic too much!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users