Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files not always copied successfully to my 128 gb thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

On my Win10 machine, I have a 128 GB thumb drive that had not been working correctly all the time.  I formatted it (takes forever!) and then used File Explorer to copy some folders from another thumb drive.

SOME folders copied correctly.  Others seemed to copy correctly, yet when I "safely Removd" the thumb drive and then plugged it in again, some folders existed but were empty.

In one case, the original folder contained 2 .txt files, but they did not remain on the drive after I removed it.

This has happened on another Win10 computer I have; and it's not always the same folder that won't copy correctly.

Anyone have any ideas about this?  I've spent some time Googling, but have not found anything relevant to this situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Is this a name brand drive or a drive you got a "great deal" on?  A lot of the "great deal" drives are much smaller than the size they are sold.  Once you fill the drive to the actual size all kinds of undesired events can happen.

Are you safely removing the drive, or just pulling it out?  Pulling a drive without ejecting and waiting for the safe to remove message can cause data corruption.

#3 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

It's a name brand drive, tho I forget the brand at this moment.  And I learned thru sad experience years ago to always "remove" the drive with software before removing it physically.

I bought 2 identical drives at the same time, and except for this anomaly, both seem good--they both have lots of files on them.  MS File Explorer reports both as having a capacity of 128 gb.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

What format are they? As there are pluses and caveats to using different formats. Fat32 versus NTFS and ExFat.

Fat32 has 4G file limitations and no encryption.

NTFS supports file encryption,

ExFat has much larger file size and cluster size. Very good for large files such as movies and better read/write file transfer speeds.

#5 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

Format is ExFat.  And I have no files larger than a few megs.  And I checked one of the folders that appeared to have been copied, and it turned out that the folder had been created, but the 2 files in it were not copied.    Those files were both .txt files < 100K--and I have lots of files of all formats larger than 100K.

What happens is that immediately after I copy the folders, I check, and the folders appear to contain the proper files.  But when I remove the drives--first clicking "eject" and then removing--and then re-insert them, the folder is there, but not the files.

I emphasize, this does not happen on all attempts to copy folders.  I cannot see any pattern.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Just for giggles I would try NTFS. Format quick so you don't have to wait. Uninstall the USB controller and reinstall it. Then go to run/search and type power options. Turn off USB conserve.

#7 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

I'll try that, but can you come up with some hypotheses as to why I got the results I got?

I'm a former programmer (mainframe) (i.e. dinosaur) and I know how to debug and how to investigate anomalies, and I;'m not afraid of trying things, but I cannot come up with a hypothesis to explain what's happening here.

ALSO, re NTFS formatting, exactly how do I do that?  I've used the COMMAND prompt for various tasks, including FORMAT but I don't remember that it gives you any choices (other than drive letter) when you launch it.   Tnx.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

If you have those files also on the internal or external HD, with the usb flash drive in, right-click on that usb drive, select format, and a dropbox should appear to give you format choices, one of which should be NTFS.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

To ROLANDJS:  OK, will try that.  The files I want to copy are already on a 32 gb thumb drive which is running out of space.

To TECHNONYMOUS;  I'm currently formatting that drive as NTFS (I started by right=clicking My Computer, selecting DISK DRIVES, etc etc).

While it's going on, messages keep popping up saying "The format [operation[ did not complete successfully."  HOWEVER, it appears that the formatting is still going on, since I can see the light on the drive flashing, and when I try to REMOVE the drive via the EJECT command, I get that  message saying that it cannot be removed because it's still in use.

I'll let it go on for another hour or so, then shut the computer down.

#10 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

ROLANDJS and TECHNONYMOUS:

further info:

1.  System detected some kind of error in my attempt to format the drive as NTFS, would not complete the operation.

2.  I reformated with exFAT, no problem.

3.  I checked some of the empty folders, and some that copied OK.  One of the empty folders would have held a few .JPGs.  They were not there--but other folders that *did* copy, contained JPGs.  So it would not seem to be a problem with file types.

4.  In at least one case, a folder contained subfolders.  SOME of the subfolders copied OK, others were empty.

5.  I attempted to copy perhaps 15 folders, in alphabetical order.  I checked the results on the 128 gb drive.  Some folders copied successfully; then there were a few, in order, that appeared to copy correctly, but which turned out to be empty, followed by several that copied correctly.  This suggests to me that it is not a problem with bad areas of the drive.

I've never heard of anything like this happening, and have never experienced this myself up to now.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Ok the message you are seeing commonly comes up all the time. This is something MSFT has not yet addressed. Just ignore the error and right-click eject once again and it should unmount. Windows 10 is very buggy with USB. If you get errors that the drive is not formatting, then this is a sign of something else going on. IE: Flash drive dying, usb port damaged, bad hub or cords with shorts in them, front usb ports not wired right to the mainboard.

#12 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have another machine here, which I think is XP.  I may try formatting the drive in that; or maybe copying the files.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

Is this a name brand drive or a drive you got a "great deal" on?  A lot of the "great deal" drives are much smaller than the size they are sold.  Once you fill the drive to the actual size all kinds of undesired events can happen.

I had something of the same sort happen with a couple of SanDisk Cruzer 'Blades' a while back.

Bought as a multi-pack, both were 32 GB models. One worked fine, and I'm still using it now. The other one gave all sorts of problems; wouldn't format, wouldn't copy files, etc. In the end, I said 'Sod it', and took it apart. Imagine my amazement when, upon taking it apart (not something I'd recommend, since it destroys these particular drives!), all that was in there was the stub of a circuit board, with the USB contacts on it.....and that was it. No NAND chip, no controller....nothing.

I took it back to the store, and got a refund there and then, over the counter. It's an odd one, since I've been using these 'Blades' for years, and have never had anything like that before.

Quite possibly a 'Friday afternoon' job.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 April 2017 - 07:06 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

I don't recall offhand the maker of this drive, but File Explorer shows it as 128 gb.

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'll try that, but can you come up with some hypotheses as to why I got the results I got?

I'm a former programmer (mainframe) (i.e. dinosaur) and I know how to debug and how to investigate anomalies, and I;'m not afraid of trying things, but I cannot come up with a hypothesis to explain what's happening here.

The Occam's razor type answer would be the drive is faulty/dying. That would be my initial gut guess. One way to test it is to try the drive with other computers to see if the same types of things happen with the other computers. If it does, then that further reinforces that idea. If it does not, then that shifts the focus to your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users