Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Failing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 js10

js10

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi. Recently, when something happens to my computer that causes me to want to do a System Restore, I can't do so. When I try, once I restart, a box pops up saying something like "System could not be restored to this point. No changes have been made." Needless to say, this completely defeats the point of System Restore. Does anyone know what might be causing this behavior and what to do about it? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

If you have avast for a AV then disable it's self-protection in settings and see if System Restore Completes.

Try the System Restore in Safe Mode.

Manually create a new restore point and then restore. Does it complete?

See the steps here for repairing System Restore

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-windows-xp-system-restore

Personally I would recommend you use a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper to create a complete disk image to an external drive. Doing this you would be able to restore an image to a computer that no longer boots because of file system corruption, malware, or a failing drive. Using the bootable media these programs let you create you can boot and then restore the image from the external to a brand new drive.

#3 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the response. First of all, though, I actually use AVG, not Avast, so I guess that can't be the culprit. As for the programs you mentioned, keep in mind that as a non-techie, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. And I would think that there would be somewhat of a learning curve with a program like that. So, my first choice would be to just fix system restore, if possible. Thanks again.

Edited by js10, 06 April 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Did you see the link I posted? It posts steps for repairing System Restore. Avast purchased AVG recently. I don't know if you have the self protection setting in AVG but I would disable it and see if you can access System Restore.

Does System Restore work in Safe Mode?

Edit: Doing the steps in the link will remove your current Restore Points.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 April 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#5 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

Okay, here are the results of the safe mode test. Actually, I tried this twice. First, I created a brand new restore point, entered safe mode, and then successfully restored my computer to that new point. Then, I entered safe mode again, and tried to restore it to one of the earlier points (just a couple of days ago) that I had previously failed with, but this one failed again, even trying the restore from safe mode. What, if anything, does that tell you? Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure. Were the restore points taken a couple of days ago manually created and were the restore points created in Safe Mode? If not it's possible some startup service or program is preventing a successful creation of a restore point. 

Does a restore point created in Normal mode fail? If it does preform a clean boot per this guide. After doing a clean boot create a Restore Point. Boot into Normal mode and do a System Restore. Does it fail? That would confirm a startup service or program causing the problem.

#7 js10

js10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hmm, actually, no, the one it failed with happens to be a restore point automatically put in place, but I THINK this has happened with restore points I've manually created as well, though maybe that's something I need to keep an eye on. As for whether the restore points were created in Safe Mode, it actually didn't look like you could do that. That is, when I was in Safe Mode, the only option was to restore my system to an earlier time. So, no, they were created in regular mode, though that's true of both the one that succeeded and the one that failed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

I have an old XP computer. When I get a chance I will see if it lets me create a Restore Point. In safe mode. You may be right that it's not available in Safe Mode.

Edit: Confirmed, you cannot create a restore point in Safe Mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2017 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users