Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acquired an HP Z400 workstation from ebay, OS boots but no bios

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pckid94

pckid94

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I purchased an HP Z400 with the intention of putting a decent gpu in for a budget gaming rig. The specs are Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz, 8gb ddr3, nvidia quadro nvs 450 (obviously will be removing that...) It came with Linux Mint 18 installed, and it boots into the OS just fine, or did at least, more info soon. Anyway, after I started the computer for the second time, I held down F10 (HP bios key) and everything turned on but there was no display. I then tried resetting the CMOS with the button. After that, the computer intially wouldnt boot at all. After several restarts, and holding down F1 (somehow forces boot) the linux booted again. Only like 1/10 times I attempted it would actually boot though, very strange. Still though, the bios was nowhere to be found. Today I installed a new CMOS battery, and it is back to not booting at all. Hopefully you guys can help me out otherwise Im gonna have to return this thing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pckid94

pckid94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

Edit: Linux is booting again. I think its possible the quadro gpu is faulty, it should be noted that occasionlly when it fails to boot strange artifacts appear on the display, im gonna thow it in another machine and see what happens. would a bad gpu cause the bios to be inaccessable?

Edited by pckid94, 06 April 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

A bad GPU can cause you to not access BIOS but that would only be if you could also not boot to Windows. Did you pull the power before pushing the CMOS button.

Page 156 & 157

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/504630_001.pdf

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Does it ever actually give an HP spash screen? (Per their website, that is the time to push F10....; if your GPU or monitor are too slow to format the screen in time, try repeatedly tapping F10 perhaps once or twice per second)

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en387411

You might want to disconnect your current hard drive, just to prevent it from actually booting. That way the few resets required to access the BIOS won't be botching the current install...

Does it ever actually give an HP spash screen? (Per their website, that is the time to push F10....; if your GPU or monitor are too slow to format the screen in time, try repeatedly tapping F10 perhaps once or twice per second)

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en387411

You might want to disconnect your current hard drive, just to prevent it from actually booting. That way the few resets required to access the BIOS won't be botching the current install...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 pckid94

pckid94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

No HP splash screen, its either all black or straight into linux. I already tried unplugging the hard drive, same thing black screen. Obviously I disconnected the power before resetting the cmos

Edited by pckid94, 06 April 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Not sure it will help but try powercycling the computer.

#7 pckid94

pckid94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

If by powercycling you mean the thing where you unplug it and then hold down the power button for 20 seconds and plug it back in, already tried it. also i have determined the gpu is fine and does not inhibit bios with a different machine.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

That is what I meant by powercycling. Have you tried a different keyboard? Still doesn't explain why you are not getting a splash screen though. 

#9 pckid94

pckid94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

yea it makes no sense at all. probably just gonna return it

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

Some HPs access a boot screen by tapping Esc at boot. Does anything pop up using Esc? There is a chance you could reflash the BIOS but I would avoid that if you can return the computer.

#11 pckid94

pckid94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

I tried esc and every f button just to be sure. the return has already been intitated lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users