Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An impossible to root smartphone

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

I can't find any information about rooting my phone on the Internet. It's a Wink World SE smartphone with Android 6.0 Marshmallow from a little-known unpopular company. Noone replied to me on XDA or AndroidCentral. All the one-click root apps, such as KingoRoot, are not able to root it.
Is there any other way to root it manually, maybe by unlocking the bootloader and rooting it with a computer via USB? What is a more general way of rooting such smartphones? What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Not having a popular phone is probably the reason there aren't any rooting or unlocking options.   Sorry to say.  Most rooting tools use exploits to gain root access. 

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, I know, I've made my peace with that fact, lol. I think it would be nice, though, if the Android community was more upfront with such information that only about the 10 most bought brands of Android smartphones are easily rootable.:)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

No idea if it will work, never tried it. Found this: How To Root Unrootable Androids With Farmaroot Application

Use at your own risk. Then again rooting is a risk. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hey, thanks! I'll be sure to try it out anytime soon and will post the results later here!:thumbup2:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

The one thing those instructions omitted is where to get framaroot (their "here" isn't a link).

These sites:  http://framaroots.com/ or http://framaroot.net/ appear to be the most legit.  The second gives a mighty long list of devices on which this particular root APK works and the exploit it employs.

Edited by britechguy, 01 May 2017 - 04:00 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

Well,:(
9110842T.png
Still a nice try though.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 01 May 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:59 AM

I don't know why my picture host deleted my screenshot; it's never done that before in the 10 years that I've been using it.
Basically, I installed the program and everything, but it wasn't able to root my smartphone.
Still, thank you for the help!:)

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

JOQ:

Well, you could continue trying one-click root options meant for other hardware that don't rely on the exploits clearly mentioned for framaroot.

Rooting is not so much device specific as it is specific to classes of hardware and the version of Android you have running on it.  Your phone cannot be sui generis in that regard but it's just not got a big enough market share that anyone has dedicated the time to determine which of the existing exploits would work on it.

I've rooted all my devices except my Samsung Galaxy S7.   Another option for rooting your device indirectly is to flash a custom recovery (which if memory serves does not require root, but I could be wrong) and see if you can find a Custom ROM that would work on it.   All of this is, of course, predicated on your not relying on the device on a daily basis and not having a heart attack if you were to brick it in a way that cannot be recovered from (which I've never done.  I've bricked both of my LG devices when playing with all this stuff, but in ways that could be recovered from).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yes, I tried also doing it with the other exploits for 15 other most like mine smartphones, but didn't work either. And also I tried the other tricks from the bag when it comes to rooting, of course. I haven't tried flashing a custom recovery and then trying to root, but I don't think I'll be doing it since I am planning on selling the phone anytime now.
Still, thanks for all the suggestions! There are all great and if someone stumbles upon this topic in the future, I am sure they'll be able to extract great value from it.:)

P.S. I actually plan on doing this one way of wiping my device's memory that, if I'm not mistaken, you informed me of some time ago. Encrypting my phone's data with the built-in feature in Android 6.0's Settings, factory resetting it, and then factory resetting it once more just to be sure. Even if it isn't 100% wiped out, that isn't a problem for me, as I don't really store sensitive data on it.:)
Thank you!

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

My screenshot magically reappeared. I knew I shouldn't lose hope in my picture host!:lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 02 May 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#12 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

Not sure if you still need help... but I recently couldn't find anything to root my phone, but I used kingo root. First I tried running the app on my phone and it didn't work.

Then I noticed they have a program you can use on your computer, then you connect the phone and it does the rest. It took a little under 10 mins but it finally rooted my phone.

I tried other programs such as one click root, towelroot, king root, etc but none of them worked.

So go to https://www.kingoapp.com/ then click "download for windows", install it, the follow the directions.

If you don't have windows then I apologize... maybe you can use a friend's computer that has windows or something.

Anyways hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users