Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Media Player no longer plays MP4 videos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vev46

vev46

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

I do not know when this began, but all .mp4 video files will not play.  The media player launches, but then the following WMP error appears: 

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I have found that simply changing the file type to .avi allows me to play the video.  Online help suggested downloading codecs, but this had no effect.  I know for sure this was not always the case; .mp4 videos used to always play.

Running Windows 7 X 64

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by vev46, 06 April 2017 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Worth a look:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982093/you-receive-an-error-message-in-windows-media-player-when-you-try-to-open-some-media-files-in-internet-explorer-8-on-a-computer-that-is-running-windows-7 .

Louis

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

What version is your WMP ?

screenshot_394.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

WMP File version is 12.0.7601.23517

#5 Saham

Saham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

hello

can you try to download it again from here :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14209/get-windows-media-player

there is new packs for WMP..

thanks

Edited by Saham, 13 April 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#6 Nouvest

Nouvest

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

Sometimes there will be such a situation, I encountered a similar problem before, there are two  solutions, one is to replace the player, but this can solve the problem in the end is not easy to say, the second is to convert video format, at present, I use AVI converter for android  program to help me convert the video to any format, no matter what kind of player can play, you can also try, this is a free product :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users