Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hi all,got a ? to ask,sounds crazy I think.I created a system image using backup&restore in windows10.

The question is,if I create another one in the future does it change and update the first one or does it create a new one,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

It creates a new one.  The built-in system imaging utility in Windows does not do incremental/differential updates; it takes a snapshot of the full system at a given point in time.

There are third party utilities such as Macrium Reflect, that are free for home use in their basic versions, that can do incremental updates based on the last full system image they took.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Thanx for the advice,that answered my question.I assume that means I can delete the old and create a new?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

Yes, you can delete an old and make a new one if what you're interested in preserving is the current state of your machine in case of disaster.

The older system images become obsolete if for no other reason than a system image taken by the Windows utility includes all users on the machine and their user data.  That has a tendency to change quite a bit with time and I wouldn't want to be restoring from an image taken three years ago as opposed to three minutes ago.

You should be doing user data backup separately from your system images as well whether through File History or some other utility since system images are snapshots of a moment in time and you don't tend to take those daily.  You want to have the new/changed files backed up between system images being taken.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Thank-you for the help,I do backup any changes to my important files everytime I add or change something,thanx again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users