Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows server 2008 r2 domain accounts weird problems.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisZen

ChrisZen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Hello everyone. Me and my coworkers are administrators in small local network consisting of one win2008 r3 server and windows xp + windows 7 clients.
We have encounter random problems from times to times but this time... we need help.

First problem.

Some accounts stopped locating the server account when the clients log in the system ending up using a local temporary account. We partially fix the problem  making new files in the directory and copying the existing client profile files in them which works most of the time,not always. Why does this happen ? We have checked all permissions and settings, like the path to the profile folder in the server, everything seems correct. It was working fine like this till now. Can someone explain this to me ? 

Second problem.

We resently formatted a new pc to replace a client (windows xp). The pc was admitted to the domain normally without effort and the client account we wanted to load on it (which happened to be one of the accounts that have the above problem) start loading just fine only to end up loading only the profile files with the correct permissions BUT IT DIDN'T HAVE THE DOMAIN POLICIES.It's a must this pc to have the domain policies but , i don't know how to troubleshoot this.I need all the ideas I can find.
Can someone help me? I will be delighted to see even one person trying to help me.

Edit: Due to the nature of the company I'm working atm...restarting the server IS-NOT-AN-OPTION.

Edited by ChrisZen, 06 April 2017 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Ok so as far as temp logins, this can be frustrating at the best of times but some things to look at are permissions, check this reg key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList) and go through each SID account and check the RefCount and if > 0 then edit that key and make it 0.

Are you also using roaming profiles?

Second issue, if the PC is not applying the group policys both at machien level and also user level then it might not be in the correct OU group.

Run the command rsop.msc on the local PC and then check to see what errors that displays if any.

Or running the command gpupdate /force or gpupdate /target:user (To appy user GPO's only).

#3 ChrisZen

ChrisZen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

Are you also using roaming profiles?

Yes, I am.We have set up an active directory and everyone working with an account from there.

I will respond back with details from testing your ideas.Thank you very much for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users