Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb external hard drive disk with extension cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerry222

jerry222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Hi guys, how is it going?

I hope you have time to take a look at my problem, please

I own an usb external hard drive disk, which supports usb 3.0, from toshiba. The original cable is very short so I bought an usb extension cable. I connected it to the external hdd but it doesnt work, i can only hear a sound similar to "tik tik" or "click click" coming from the hdd and nothing shows on my computer. I tried the cable with an usb pen drive (usb 2.0) and it works, so i dont think the problem is the extension cable. both hdd and the extension cable support usb 3.0 . I use windows 8.1 OS.
do you know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks

Regards

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

If you connect the Original Short Cable does the Drive work ok ?

If so the extension cable may be Faulty.and not providing Power Correctly.

Otherwise , you say the Cable is ok testing on Pen Drive

Generally , a clicking Drive means a Failure , did you get any Drive Warnings previously.

You can test it with either.

Also if you have any data on the Drive that needs to be retrieved , then the more you use the drive if faulty or try and dismantle it , your chances of retrieval are diminished dramitically.

Edited by Havachat, 06 April 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

I think you must consider replacing the original cable and not extend to avoid problems, check this thread.

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 April 2017 - 09:03 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you're going to extend the cable, perhaps a USB 3.0 Hub would be a better option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users