Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for upgrading computer components

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ilvysm

ilvysm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

So last year I built a computer with these specs: 

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Red (HX318C10FR/8)

CPU: AMD A8-7600 Quad-Core 3.1 GHz Socket FM2+ 65W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 (AD7600YBJABOX)

GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Motherboard: Gigabyte AMD FM2+ A68H SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 mATX ATX DDR3 2133 NA Motherboards GA-F2A68HM-H

Also running on Windows 10. 

I'm looking into a new graphics card (specifically a GTX 1050 Ti). I also want to get new RAM. And I don't know if I should get a new CPU. I'm not as informed on computers and components as I used to be so was wondering what should I get. I know the RAM needs a fm2 connecter for the motherboard but I don't know what else and I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I should get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

YOu did not really give an intended usage scenario, but since you mentioned the GPU first, I'd assume you want faster gaming framerates?

The GPU would likely bring the largest gaming framerate gains at 1080P and above, but, the socket FM2/AM2/AM3 cpus have never really been known as 'strong gaming cpus' ...in my opinion. (The higher the resolution, the less difference the weaker cpu makes, until at 4k ultra, almost all cpus perform similarly)

If determined to replace your CPU, I'd check with Gigabytes website to see which cpus it supports, I do see some FM2 variants up to 4 GHz or so, but, I'd consider doing just the GPU (which can be carried with you in an upgrade), and conserving remaining funds for a jump to a new mainboard/cpu/DDR4-based rig. (Some of the newer Ryzen R5 rigs look pretty tempting in the sub $249 price range...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

There are no much better CPU or APU available for that motherboard. I wonder why you have APU + Nvidia video card, as A8-7600 was meant to offer acceptable CPU and GPU performance for low price. When using discrete video card, APU's GPU is wasted.

If you want to change CPU, you also need to change RAM too (most good options require DDR4). So I suggest you sell whole system and buy new one.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'd tend to agree. A meaningful CPU upgrade will mean new motherboard, new memory, new system basically.

RAM does not use the FM2 socket (that is for the processor) - it's just standard 240 pin DDR3.  If you want to upgrade the RAM, you could just add another of the same module as you already have for 16 Gb.  No point replacing it.  Faster memory (e.g. DDR3-2400 Mhz) won't make the system significantly faster.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 April 2017 - 09:37 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users