Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering if I have a built in firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bastille Day

Bastille Day

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

I have Windows 8.1, 64 bit, went to register with Canada Revenue and they recommend installing a personal firewall.

I just don't know if my system already has one.

If someone could recommend a personal firewall, that would be great.

Free is fine but if I have to pay for something that ensures my privacy, I may consider it.

Newer Lenovo computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

Windows built-in firewall will do the job just fine!  Been using Windows Firewall for some time now, no problems.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

Find Windows Firewall in Control Panel   ---

screenshot_394.jpg

Edited by medab1, 05 April 2017 - 03:43 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

Windows built-in firewall will do the job just fine!  Been using Windows Firewall for some time now, no problems.

Thanks Roland, I assume it's part of Windows Defender.

Windows Defender works well, I have had all the others over the years, nothing compares to it IMPO.

#5 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

screenshot_394.jpg

#6 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

screenshot_394.jpg

Thanks, I just looked into that, my Private Networks is not connected, Guest or Public Networks is connected.

Not sure what this means, I am hardwired into a Bell Canada jack via a legal dry loop. no wifi of any sort.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

The Windows firewall is built into the Win OS and, since Win 7, has been a very good one. From your images above it appears you are using the AVast firewall - part of the Avast security suite - and  it should be active.

However the Avast firewall is part of the paid for suite, it is not included in the free version of Avast. If you have the Avast paid for suite then you can check in the Avast control panel whether or not it is active. Double Click on the Avast icon and you will find it under the 'Security' tab. If you do not have the paid for suite then you need to acttivate the Windows firewall. Since the above images say that the firewall function is being managed by AVast then you almost certainly have the paid for version and - apart from checking - you don't have to worry.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

The Windows firewall is built into the Win OS and, since Win 7, has been a very good one. From your images above it appears you are using the AVast firewall - part of the Avast security suite - and  it should be active.

However the Avast firewall is part of the paid for suite, it is not included in the free version of Avast. If you have the Avast paid for suite then you can check in the Avast control panel whether or not it is active. Double Click on the Avast icon and you will find it under the 'Security' tab. If you do not have the paid for suite then you need to acttivate the Windows firewall. Since the above images say that the firewall function is being managed by AVast then you almost certainly have the paid for version and - apart from checking - you don't have to worry.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris, that's not my Avast screenshot, it's posters medab1, I have Windows 8.1 Defender, apparently I am good to go. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

For those following this thread that do not have Avast but rather have Avira AV -- they can attest that Avira offers a control panel of -- Windows Firewall  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

If you are going to use a firewall other than the Windows firewall you should disable the Windows firewall.

To disable the Windows firewall press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens selct Control Panel.

Select Firewall, then click/tap on Turn Windows Firewall on or off

You will have two options, one for Private network settings, one for Public network settings, use which ever is applicable to your network settings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users