Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with dual-booting Ubuntu & Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xxanxx

xxanxx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hey y'all,

I've been lurking on here for quite some time and finally decided to register.  The forums here have been very helpful and a welcome aid for my technically-challenged self.  I've been having a problem for about 4 days now, and I've been searching everywhere for any help I can get.  Here goes:

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop with Windows 10 loaded on it.  I decided to dual-boot it with Ubuntu 16.04 and everything seemed to go just fine.  But, the last time I logged out of Windows, everything went south.  Now every time I boot my computer, Windows will not boot up.  It takes me to Repair Options where I can either click continue to windows 10 or select a restore point to go back to.  There are a few other options but nothing seems to work.  When I click the first option, it simply reboots the computer back to the same screen.  I've tried restoring as well, and I always receive an error message. 

Thankfully Ubuntu will load and function correctly, but I'm just not that great at it and I miss Windows.  I know this isn't all the most pertinent info, but I'll update it a little more shortly.  Since this is my only computer, I'll have to reboot and write down the exact errors and then update.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Were you able to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu operating systems or you are having problem dual booting?

Posted Image

#3 xxanxx

xxanxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

I was able to dual boot a few times with no problem.  All of the sudden this happened.  Let me restart so I can update my post with the exact error message...

#4 xxanxx

xxanxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Ok, so I finally had time to record what I see when trying to boot Windows 10.  Here are my options from the boot menu:

1) Ubuntu

2) Windows Boot Manager

3) UEFI Toshiba MQ01ABD100, Partition 1

As I said, Ubuntu boots with no problems.  Options 2 & 3 both take me back to the Dell screen, where it says, "Preparing Automatic Repair"

After this, it takes me to a blue Windows screen with the following options:

1) Continue & Exit.  Exit and continue to Windows 10

2) Use a Device

3) Troubleshoot

4) Turn off PC

When I try option 1, it simply restarts the computer but will not load Windows 10.  I've also tried option 3, which takes me to advanced options.  From there I have tried restoring to specific dates with no success.  I forgot to write down the error messages but will later.

Did I not partition correctly?  I literally followed the linux instructions to install side by side and it just stopped working.

I can still access my Windows files from Ubuntu, so I didn't lose any data.  But, I would really like to be able to use Windows again and I'm not sure what to do.  Oi...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

In Advanced Options select Command Prompt and type

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

It will list any corruption. It's possible the grub loader is corrupted. That would be a question for the BC linux forum.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:25 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users