Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UncleWiggily1952

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UncleWiggily1952

UncleWiggily1952

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hello! Now, what do I say???

Well, of course, I am here because I have a computer, a problem (ransomware) that needs to get fixed, and no money to fix it with. Actually, even if I HAD money to fix it with, I prefer the DIY approach because if I can and I CAN, I love the challenge of it all.

I have been using computers since 1978 so I'm an old horse that has been around for awhile. I have used Bleeping Computer's help in the past many years ago when I was still using Microsoft products. I got so sick of the whole process of dealing with the various malware problems that I finally abandoned ship and the problems by switching exclusively to Linux products. That was in 2008 and I have not had a problem with MY computers since that day.

My son teaches at a tech school and when the operating systems their computers come loaded with cease to be supported by Microsoft, they give them away to whoever wants to deal with them. And that is why I just so happened to have an old WinXP machine serving as a plant stand when my laptop's power supply cord was done in (bent) by a silly old and confused dog and a wobbly table.

I was able to order a new one but as a disabled shut-in, being without a PC for a week or more was unthinkable! So I dragged this machine out of retirement and fired it up. I was online less than 15 minutes downloading the free AVAST antivirus software and updating its files when I got a  pop-up telling me Microsoft had detected a problem and I should call this 800 number for help getting it fixed. At that point I simply shut the machine down in disgust and did something else that day. My power cord arrived the very next day--a pleasant and very welcome surprise. My WinXP machine returned to its duties as a plant stand.

Now more than a year later, my laptop developed what I think is a bios problem that I did not feel up to dealing with. I've never dealt with anything bios related other than doing an update. I may rethink that decision but I need more information before I actually decide.

What disturbs me most is the thought that I may have acquired more than my free version of Avast software that day. If that is the case I am royally peeved!

Well, that explains how I got here and why. sigh...

Sincerely,

UW

PS:  I use the name UncleWiggily because that is what I call my little  dog, Harley, when he gets too excited about getting to go outside and cannot stop wiggiling. That is the nickname he uses for his email address. Seriously. He emails my grandchildren on a regular basis. I am also old enough to have played Uncle Wiggily as a child. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Wiggily_(board_game)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

Welcome to BC !

For general malware problems start a topic in the 'Am I infected? section. For ransomware problems, if you know what variety you are infected with, than add a post to the end of the relevant topic in the ransomware section.. If you don't know what variety you are infected with then just start a new topic in that section. But in all cases, give at least the make and model of the computer you are having problems with and which OS you are running on it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users