Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Windows as a service' means big, painful changes for IT pros

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

Even for those of us who regularly attend IT-focused conferences and keep up with deployment news, managing a Windows-based organization in this new era can be confusing. For those who are simply using Windows for day-to-day-business, the changes can appear unexpectedly. And the realization that tried-and-true workflows no longer apply isn't sitting well with some IT pros.

For the past year, I've been hearing a steady stream of complaints from longtime Windows admins and users. Consistently, those grumbles all boil down to a single objection: Because of "Windows as a service," we're losing control of our desktop PCs

Article

I think TsVk! would agree with the above.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Well, the article talks about the "set it and forget it" approach to deployment which, to my way of thinking, isn't a valid approach at all.

I used to work at places that took this approach and it is at least as fraught, if not more so, than the new one.  The article also doesn't seem to take into account the much tighter degree of control Windows 10 Enterprise allows over updating and most large organizations will be using Enterprise.

There is no perfect system and, as a Windows user both at home and office (when I was still working "in the office" for someone else), it used to frustrate me to no end when fixes that had been applied months to years (and, yes, there were a few examples of that) ago were simply refused by the IT powers that be.

There are pluses and minuses to both the old updating system and the new one.  As the article notes the new one is not going away and has, in fact, been applied under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  In life you've got to play the cards you're dealt. 

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:01 PM

The problem with forced updates that change system configuration is that in in 24/7 uptime environments this can lead to major financial losses. Microsoft has a terrible record in terms of testing and verifying their update stability and is known to bring down tens of thousands of PC's with their poorly tested code. In previous iterations of Windows we could wait a week, see which patches cause problems for consumers and then apply all the rest using an onsite WSUS update server. Now we have just one compiled update every month, which causes problems every month, so we are forced no to apply critical security patches because of the other broken junk that is bundled with it. There is a level of deviousness in this. The reason being that companies would not install 3rd party applications, telemetry and spyware nor gui "feature" updates if given the choice... So MS holds us to ransom. Take all our crap or deprecate your security.

"Set and Forget" is likewise an important part of managing highly diverse networks. This doesn't mean you don't do critical updates or apply security patches. What it means is you don't change the actual system settings and functions, nor introduce software that can change these. It's all about stability. This is what the article was referring to. Imagine that your are being forced to test 100's of pieces of software on an annual basis for compatibility with a new Windows version? It's a living nightmare. The only way around that is by using an enterprise LTSB version, but in there are other problems as well.

This is only the start of the Win 10 issues, I could carry on for quite some time. It's most irritating, especially as Win 10 held such promise. It's a dogs dinner and sane companies will be looking for better solutions in the long term, especially as the problem appears to be getting worse update by update as Microsoft creates new ways to monetize their "service".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users