Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can someone tell me a way to get system restore to work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tony007

tony007

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Can someone tell me a way to get system restore to work on my windows10?This is not because I have any problems I'de just like it to be working. I've been told on another forum that erunt is no good  with windows10. Is there anything else I can use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

I usually do a system restore within safe mode but I tried recently & it failed.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

"Is there anything else I can use?"

Macrium---

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Which System Restore, you're talking about? Normally Windows 10 Recovery and Advanced startup working great.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

I always recommend that everyone should use disc imaging software on a regular basis. It is the best backup and recovery method available. The best imaging software is Acronis True Image, but it is not free. The top free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#6 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

When you restore your PC to a prior restore point, any applications you introduced after that point will get uninstalled. Applications that were introduced when that restore point was made will in any case be set up. Applications that you uninstalled subsequent to making that restore point will get restored, yet with a major proviso. Since System Restore just restores certain sorts of files, projects that get restored regularly won't work or at any least, work legitimately until you re-run their installers.

#7 tony007

tony007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

I have downloaded macrium reflect and made a rescue disk so this will have to do. Thanks for your answers all.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

I have downloaded macrium reflect and made a rescue disk so this will have to do. Thanks for your answers all.

:thumbup2: 

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

A rescue disk is good.

screenshot_394.jpg

Adding the boot time recovery environment helps ---

screenshot_394.jpg

screenshot_394.jpg

screenshot_394.jpg

If the USB device is formatted as NTFS you will end up with 1 big image file ---

screenshot_394.jpg

The Macrium forums are good for help with Macrium---

http://forum.macrium.com/Default.aspx

Try there for more help.

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

This issue has been resolved according to the OP. Since the OP originally posted...

Can someone tell me a way to get system restore to work on my windows10?

I  am offering details on using the built in Windows System Restore feature.

As a Windows Insider In most cases new builds and sometimes Cumulative Updates for that particular build, System Restore is turned off by default, even though you had System Restore Turned On in the previous build. (Active Windows Insiders can vouch for this annoyance,) Your settings for the amount of disk space to allocate for System Restore Points usually remains unchanged.

The following is a simple How To for checking or enabling System Restore in Windows 10.

In the taskbar search window, enter System Restore and choose Create a restore point.

If system restore is Turned Off, simply highlight the drive and click the configure button.

On the next window place the bullet in Turn on system protection. Next set the Maximum Usage by moving the slider. Click Apply and Ok.

Should you wish to immediately create a restore point click the Create button. A new window opens allowing you to enter a description of the restore point and once again click the Create button. This process may take a few minutes to complete, be patient.

When the Restore Point Creation is finished you will be notified. Click the Close button and click Ok. You have completed setting up your device to create System Restore Points.

Hope this helps future inquires using system restore.

Old Rocker

Edited by Old Rocker to remove double posting!

Edited by old rocker, 06 April 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#11 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hello tony007, nice to hear you that your problem has been solved!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Can someone tell me a way to get system restore to work on my windows10?

It looks like you have made the good choice to use Macrium Reflect.  If you keep this image on removable media (such as an external ssd/hdd, flash drive, etc.) you will have it available even if the ssd/hdd fail and you need to do a fresh installation on a new drive.

I would like to address your question in your first post regarding System Restore.

Windiows 10 System Restore

With some of the updates that are being installed System Restore can be disabled.  For this reason it is worth while to see if it is configured.  Follow the instructions below to see if System Restore is configured and how to configure it if it is not.

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Control Panel, then click/tap on Recovery.

When Recovery opens click/tap on Configure System Restore.  Click/tap on the Systen Protection tab.  You will see a image like the one below.  

system%20restore%20config_zpsov2nz9i4.pn

Under Protection Settings the Local disk (C:) (System) should be On if System Restore is configured.  If it is not click/tap on Configure and click/tap on the radio button for Turn on system protection.  Click/tap on Apply, the OK.

How to use System Restore in Windows 10

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Control Panel, then click/tap on Recovery, click/tap on Open System Restore.

When System Restore opens you will see the image below, click/tap on Next.

sys%20restore1_zpsybgszxv8.png

You will see the image below.  Select a restore point prior to your problem.  Please notice that in the lower left portion of there image the is the option to Show more restore points, use this if there isn't already a restore point above that will work.

sys%20restore2_zpsh2nii6mg.png

Click/tap on Next after selecting your restore point.  Click/tap on finish.

System Restore will run now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users