Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to print in custom-sizes? [at home graphic/promo-design]

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

Hi everyone, happy to be here! 

I tried to Google/YouTube my way to an answer before posting here, but only got more confused and I feel there's an easy solution to what I'm trying to accomplish...

QUESTION: How can I get both an 1. image or 2. PDF design to print in a specific user-customized real-world size?

For example...I'm printing a flyer for an event, and want to use as much of the page as possible; how do I adjust the printer settings to achieve the print-size output all the way to the very edge of a standard 8.5x10 piece of paper? (I have both HP and Epson printers)
  1. How can I print a PDF image (ATTACHED) same as above using the ENTIRE piece of paper from top to bottom with no borders and zero white-space 
    [I'm attaching the project I'm working on -- trying to print TWO flyers per page, top to bottom with white space in between to cut up the middle]
  2. How can I print an IMAGE in a specific real-world custom size on an 8.5x10 paper that I can define the output

PS: I know the flyer I attached can't be stretched all the way to top because of proportions, but close as possible to use more available white-space would be nice; plus I'd like to know for future reference. I'm using Canva.com as well as Inkspace free Vector software

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2017 - 07:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Graphics Design - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

To print full bleed (borderless) your printer must be capable of doing this style of printing. Check the specifications for your model of printers - if they are not full bleed printers there will always be a border into which they cannot print.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

To print full bleed (borderless) your printer must be capable of doing this style of printing. Check the specifications for your model of printers - if they are not full bleed printers there will always be a border into which they cannot print.

I have borderless printings on both models. So what's the next step?

PS: I took a screen shot of my printer info to show it has all those options, but don't see another attachment option?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Just FYI, standard letter size is 8.5x11 inches, not 8.5x10. I assume that you have the original file of the graphic to work from.

You will need a dedicated graphics program to do this. What you are trying to do is create a custom-sized graphic and most of the software utilities that come with a printer will only size to preset sizes. I am not acquainted with the two programs you referenced, but good, free, bitmap editor is Gimp that will do it for you. Or, if you have access to a good Vector-line ("draw") program such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, you can import the graphic and simply size it by selecting it as a whole and dragging the borders where you want them. Remember that everything depends on the size of the stock you are using; sometimes the graphic was created in a certain aspect ratio, and it simply will not fit the frame that you want without distorting horizontally or vertically, or both. You won't know until you try. You can do this in Gimp also, but it is a bit more complicated; you must enter the sizing tool and manually enter the new size in inches or pixels. Not difficult either way.

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 April 2017 - 04:46 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Just FYI, standard letter size is 8.5x11 inches, not 8.5x10. I assume that you have the original file of the graphic to work from.

You will need a dedicated graphics program to do this. What you are trying to do is create a custom-sized graphic and most of the software utilities that come with a printer will only size to preset sizes. I am not acquainted with the two programs you referenced, but good, free, bitmap editor is Gimp that will do it for you. Or, if you have access to a good Vector-line ("draw") program such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, you can import the graphic and simply size it by selecting it as a whole and dragging the borders where you want them. Remember that everything depends on the size of the stock you are using; sometimes the graphic was created in a certain aspect ratio, and it simply will not fit the frame that you want without distorting horizontally or vertically, or both. You won't know until you try. You can do this in Gimp also, but it is a bit more complicated; you must enter the sizing tool and manually enter the new size in inches or pixels. Not difficult either way.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I've used Gimp over the years, and was recommended Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/ by someone in the industry since it's a Vector based graphic design software online for free (rather than paying hundreds at once or $30 a month for Adobe's solutions).

Basically, I'm not worried about graphics or images NEARLY as much as I am about output real-world print size dimensions of a graphic/flyer I created. For example, I use https://www.canva.com/ which is amazing to create my company promo materials (I attached an example in my original post above), and it allows you to create custom dimensions to start from scratch, or select a standard size (ex: 5x7, 4x6, business cards, Facebook banner, etc. etc. in hundreds of pre-determined sizes), but when I save that file in a specific size/aspect-ratio as either a PDF or a PNG format, I want to make SURE it's printing in that exact size. 

I think all I have to do is create the file with pre-set dimensions, and then in my print dialog box, select the box that outputs the file in the true-to-life measurements. But it has not worked like that. Technology! Haha... it's 2017 and we can't just say "Hey printer, I want this to be printed in _______ size exactly."

Edited by FLEXyourFAITH, 06 April 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

I think all I have to do is create the file with pre-set dimensions, and then in my print dialog box, select the box that outputs the file in the true-to-life measurements

That is what I do in Photoshop, Gimp (which I use more lately) and CorelDraw. Then I print from that program print directory and so far it works for me. I even do a fair amount of tiling work in CorelDraw, in which I create large wall posters and it comes out to the exact millimeter size I create. What program are you using to do the actual print commands from? Are you using a commercial printing house, or from your personal printer. Could you please post the printer and model you are using?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

I think all I have to do is create the file with pre-set dimensions, and then in my print dialog box, select the box that outputs the file in the true-to-life measurements

That is what I do in Photoshop, Gimp (which I use more lately) and CorelDraw. Then I print from that program print directory and so far it works for me. I even do a fair amount of tiling work in CorelDraw, in which I create large wall posters and it comes out to the exact millimeter size I create. What program are you using to do the actual print commands from? Are you using a commercial printing house, or from your personal printer. Could you please post the printer and model you are using?

Thanks for your great questions, I'll def post everything up you asked for. How do I upload screen shots? When I started this topic, I was able to attach images but don't see the option anymore.

I'm using an HP 5525 ePrint All-in-One. I save the www.Canva.com flyer to my hard-drive as a high-res PFD, open the PDF and click CTRL+P

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

My Canon has a checkbox for Borderless Printing in the printer dialog, does yours? When the box is checked, the image dimensions that will be printed jump up to larger size.

#9 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

My Canon has a checkbox for Borderless Printing in the printer dialog, does yours? When the box is checked, the image dimensions that will be printed jump up to larger size.

Yes it does. I mentioned that above but wasn't able to post a screen shot of my options...borderless printing is great, and presents a more professional looking flyer to pass out, but more than borderless printing what I'm really looking to do is quite simple: I want to print 2 flyers per sheet of standard paper, with as little white space as possible, so I'm making use of the printable area and it gives the impression of a professionally printed piece of material (see first post with attached images)

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'll admit it has been difficult to follow what you are telling us and the description of your difficulty, especially as you say the borderless printing is great. Ranchhand asked what program you are printing from - as far as I can determine you have simply said you open the PDF. What program shows you the PDF and sends it to the printer - if you're printing from say, Adobe Reader, that may be causing the discrepancy.

#11 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

Sorry, I really tried to keep it simple, I'm not used to explaining technical issues.

Issue: I'm trying to use as much white space as possible on a standard piece of paper when printing the flyers in my first post

I'm printing from Adobe and PrimoPDF programs, but both of them populate my standard HP Printer dialog with all the standard options available. The PDF programs only render the image it's been sent, I didn't think that could have any effect on my printed product. 

I'm happy with the result of my flyer now, happy enough anyway :) I'm printing 2,000 of them, because even after buying paper and all of the ink on eBay, it's going to save me around $220, as opposed to using PrintRunner.com or VistaPrint.com

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:49 AM

I'm printing from Adobe

Adobe produce many programs, and we were wondering which particular one, but it may not matter now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adobe_software

It's certainly possible that using PDF format could be causing the discrepancy in your printing, particularly depending on what method you're using to create the double page image. Printing the equivalent from a conventional DTP program would be one way to find out.

However if you're finding success as it stands, that may be all that's necessary.

#13 FLEXyourFAITH

FLEXyourFAITH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'm printing from Adobe

Adobe produce many programs, and we were wondering which particular one, but it may not matter now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adobe_software

It's certainly possible that using PDF format could be causing the discrepancy in your printing, particularly depending on what method you're using to create the double page image. Printing the equivalent from a conventional DTP program would be one way to find out.

However if you're finding success as it stands, that may be all that's necessary.

Thanks a lot to you and everyone for the help and insight! I've learned that for large scale print jobs (1,000+) like I'm working on now, it's best to outsource and pay the premium for professionally printed flyers. I'm using heavy card stock and have a great layout, but ultimately the time and ink that's been put into the project wouldn't be so bad it if were a simple 100 flyers and I knew the ins-and-outs of how to get a 5x7 flyers to print exactly how I wanted edge-to-edge 2-pages per sheet, front and back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users