Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping HDD's for clean install?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hi when i am doing a clean install on windows 7 will i have an option to wipe all of my hardrives on my pc or will i have to do it before reinstalling windows to prevent complications? thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

You will have option to delete all partitions and create new partitions.

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 April 2017 - 03:11 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

A clean install will be ok , you will be notified that it will format the Drive , when you select where the Install will go.

If you have any other Drives in the System { You Stated !   .... All My Drives } Disconnect all Drives , except the Drive where you want windows to be installed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

+1 for disconnecting all other drives...no point in introducing possible complicating factors.

Louis

#5 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

A clean install will be ok , you will be notified that it will format the Drive , when you select where the Install will go.

If you have any other Drives in the System { You Stated !   .... All My Drives } Disconnect all Drives , except the Drive where you want windows to be installed.

+1 for disconnecting all other drives...no point in introducing possible complicating factors.

Louis

i would like to wipe both drives and start over again with a clean SSD and HDD :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

And...you have to try to both things at the same time?

I would think that the most important thing...installing Windows...should be done first.  Anything after that occurs can be done at your convenience.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#7 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

And...you have to try to both things at the same time?

I would think that the most important thing...installing Windows...should be done first.  Anything after that occurs can be done at your convenience.

Louis

Thanks for the advice Louis, is it possible to wipe both at the same time though when installing windows? it's my first time doing this.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

You can delete all partitions from all internally attached hard drives.

Posted Image

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:19 AM

Personally , i usually just install Windows to the Main Hard Drive First , with any others disconnected to avoid any complications.

Then when your done , attach other Drives and just format them , either by right clicking the Drive and Select Format or via Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.

If you have any drives that a Partitioned , they are still classed as Drives with there own Drive Letter.

And yes all Drives can be wiped when installing Windows , via Options at Setup for where to Install Windows , as all Drives will be shown.

But this is usually not a good practice as some people then delete Drives by mistake with Data on them / or select wrong Drives etc. 

Edited by Havachat, 06 April 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#10 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

Personally , i usually just install Windows to the Main Hard Drive First , with any others disconnected to avoid any complications.

Then when your done , attach other Drives and just format them , either by right clicking the Drive and Select Format or via Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.

If you have any drives that a Partitioned , they are still classed as Drives with there own Drive Letter.

And yes all Drives can be wiped when installing Windows , via Options at Setup for where to Install Windows , as all Drives will be shown.

But this is usually not a good practice as some people then delete Drives by mistake with Data on them / or select wrong Drives etc. 

yea i just wanna wipe both my SSD and HDD since the HDD is just full of old game downloads anyway and no important data (i stored junk there) i will just wipe both when installing windows if possible then i will install the fresh windows to my 250gb ssd.

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

I would still do the Simplest approach.

Install Windows to the SSD.

When Done , just format the Second Drive from within Windows , right clicking the Drive and Select Format or via Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users