Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).
- Extract it to your Desktop.
- Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
- Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.
I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.
- Please right click the Windows logo (formerly the start button) at the bottom left of your screen.
- Please select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
- Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
- It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
- If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
- If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
- If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
- If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file
that link got Windows Update working, and after a few rounds System is now up to date.
this is the result of System File Checker
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Is there is anything else you would like me to do?
If not then thank you all very much,
Stage 1 of this PC resurrection is complete,
(still to come, #2 removing unneeded HP utilities,
#3 resurrecting an external hard drive "killed" by "Scan & Fix")
Edited by NeverTheLess, 08 April 2017 - 08:38 AM.