Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update error

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 NeverTheLess

NeverTheLess

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

thank you medab1,

that got me into safe mode,

reran FreeBooter's batch script,

Try to start Windows Update:

"windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running."

NOW, the service is listed in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

BUT, when I try and start the service -

"Windows could not start the Windows Update service on Local Computer = Error 2 The system cannot find the file specified."

R3COH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

• Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please right click the Windows logo (formerly the start button) at the bottom left of your screen.
  • Please select  "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow  (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
  • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
  • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
  • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
  • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately.  I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
  • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file

Posted Image

#18 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:23 PM

According to this there is a Windows Update troubleshooter in Windows 7 ---

https://www.howtogeek.com/260248/how-to-make-windows-troubleshoot-your-pc-problems-for-you/

You may want to try it.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#19 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

PC

HP Pavilion g6 notebook,

AMD A6-4400M APU 2.70 GHz, 4GB Ram (which was fair for its day (2012))

64 Bit Win7 Home Premium.

Function keys are "behind" the programmable/media keys, user has to hold down the FN key and then press the desired Function.

I am not even going to speculate, I have no means of testing any hypothesis here.

Safe Mode - absolutely nothing happens on F8, press it slowly, 1 per second, fast, hold it down, all=zip.

some sites say try CTRL - nothing there either,

some say hit ESC, and that does take me to a menu which has just about everything else, but not safe mode.

some then say (when in that menu) press boot device and then F8, or press F8 directly, or ESC again and then F8 = but none of those get into safe mode.

can we tell windows on shut down to restart into safe mode?

R3COH

On intel computers, there is a very similar issue, but in order to fix it you need to download RST Drivers. I know, it is pretty strange but that is how it can be fixed. Try finding some type of equivilant drivers for amd.

RST is rapid storage technology.

ooh, i have a signature

#20 NeverTheLess

NeverTheLess

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

• Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please right click the Windows logo (formerly the start button) at the bottom left of your screen.
  • Please select  "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow  (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
  • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
  • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
  • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
  • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately.  I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
  • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file

that link got Windows Update working, and after a few rounds System is now up to date.

===

this is the result of System File Checker

>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

===

Is there is anything else you would like me to do?

If not then thank you all very much,

Stage 1 of this PC resurrection is complete,

(still to come, #2 removing unneeded HP utilities,

#3 resurrecting an external hard drive "killed" by "Scan & Fix")

R3COH

Edited by NeverTheLess, 08 April 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#21 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

I'm glad to hear Windows Update working, Windows system files are in good condition as well there is nothing else i need you to complete.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users