Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consumer Reports Cause Stir By Creating New Viruses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

ConsumerReports - an American consumer testing organisation - is currently the subject of concerted criticism. They dared to modify known viruses on a grand scale for an anti-virus software test. The fact that these did not find their way into the wild doesn't seem to matter to the critics.

Experts from McAfee, Sophos and Kaspersky are queuing up to heap ever greater condemnation on this supposed taboo-busting...

heise-security.co.uk

ConsumerReports: Our unique antivirus testing: How we did it
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

Ethics and Virus Testing

Opinion: How come discovering vulnerabilities and writing exploits is "research," but viruses for testing is a crime against humanity?

Response to the controversy over the tests performed recently by Consumer Reports on anti-virus products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

I'm wondering: They created 500 viruses, how did they make sure they work? I mean to test if the virus works in the wild, wouldn't they need to release them?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users