Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't POST

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steffan87

Steffan87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

Can a Hard Shutdown destroy RAM?

​I built my own rig 2 years ago it's been amazing so far but the other day I had to do a hard shutdown while in the middle of a game because my foot hit the HDMI cord to my GPU and the screen went black but could still hear the game running fine. I shutdown the comp and now when I go to start it up the fans come on but the PC doesn't boot.

​I have replaced the PSU and MOBO so far to no avail.

I've heard that RAM can cause this problem I just dont understand how RAM can suddenly just blow, I have 2 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM. I just ordered an 8GB stick of DDR3 RAM for my PC to see if that's the problem, The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the RAM or CPU. Starting to run out of ideas.

​I have also installed a MOBO beeper to see if I can troubleshoot it that way but since its not posting the beeper is useless. Really wishing I had some sort of indicator to tell me what is going on

​MOBO - GIGABYTE GA 970-a-DS3P

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Have you tried powercycling the computer. Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and try a reboot.  Do you get a post beep with no RAM in the slots? Have you tried only one stick of RAM in each of the slots. Then substitute your other RAM stick and try it in each slot.

Do you have a another GPU you can swap in?

As you replaced the PSU and Motherboard the only items left are the GPU, RAM, and CPU. 

I never heard of a hard shutdown destroying RAM. 

Hopefully some other people can throw out some additional ideas.

#3 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Thank you!  Yes I have tried everything resetting CMOS/No power cord 1 minute power button/ swapping out hardware/using 1 stick at a time. I do not have a extra GPU to use but I was told it wouldn't effect POST. They Narrowed it down to MOBO/RAM/CPU/ or PSU

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

For the PSU you can check the voltages with a multimeter. It's not perfect but it can narrow down the problem. Make sure you load the PSU as shown in the video.

Edit: Sometimes the problem is caused by the case itself. If worse comes to worse you could try booting outside of the case by breadboarding all the components and short the two power power pins.

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=120814

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

JohnC has the idea.  I have run across a unit that had the VGA cable yanked so hard it pulled the desktop and monitor unto the floor.  The units were not damaged but the CPU refused to do anything.  No activity from the power on switch, just nothing.  After removing all components from the case, we found a standoff near the VGA connector on the MOBO had been elongated in the hole enough to short a trace on the PCB.  A switch to a nylon standoff solved the fault. 

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

​I have replaced the PSU and MOBO so far to no avail

I assume that you mean that you replaced the PSU and the Mobo after you had the accident. IF that is the case, and you are not able to POST the computer with the new equipment, the above suggestions to bench-build are excellent.

First, if you have not done this with the new mobo, reset the BIOS. Unplug the power supply cable, remove the CMOS battery, use the jumper to reset the CMOS settings, replace the battery and try to reboot. If you have done this already, then disregard the suggestion. If still no joy, remove the components and bench-build the unit. It may be that you have a bad board...I have gotten them.

If you are interested, here is the method I have used for years for a new build. In fact, I have a delivery coming this week from Newegg, and this will be the first thing I do before installing components in the case. You may find some useful suggestions.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for your Posts. 

I am getting very aggravated at this point, the ONLY 2 components I haven't replaced are the GPU and CPU I now have a brand new motherboard with brand new RAM and still NO signal on screen and NO beeps coming from the beeper I installed. Starting to wonder if it is POSTing but nothing is being displayed because of the GPU. 

I have replaced PSU/RAM/MOBO to no avail. 

#8 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hey guys, Long story short I've been having a problem getting my PC to boot up

​So far I have replaced the MOBO/PSU/RAM and none of them have worked.

​I am now breadboarding my PC to try and figure out what is going on. I did Install a MOBO beeper/speaker on the MOBO/
​I am using the New MOBO/New RAM stick/New PSU. I only have the 24 pin power and 4 PIN CPU cords hooked up along with the MOBO speaker. when I short the power on button the fans come on and tries to boot but I am getting NOTHING out of my mobo speaker. Even If I power up the MOBO without RAM it still does not beep. I've replaced everything but GPU and CPU yet I get no signal on my monitor still and no MOBO beeps. Ready to tare the hair out of my head!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users