Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU, High Disk usage, and multiple conhost.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dodgechargerfan

dodgechargerfan

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

and perhaps more.

I have a friend's laptop and she's complained that it has been running very slowly.

I can see that's the case.

Looking at Task Manager I see the CPU is almost always at 96% or higher. I've the disk utilization right up at 99% as well.

I notices a number of Updates and Installers trying to run - the most noticeable was dropbox.

I ended up uninstalling that and then installing the latest version downloaded from their site.

\that seemed to settle things down a bit, but there were a lot of things waiting in line to be upddated and didn't seem to want to proceed until the dropbox auto upddate was taken out of the way.

Adobe reader updated.

Windows 10 did its updates.

AVG 2015 Free was on the laptop and it would not update. So, I removed it as well as the their Safesearch bar and tried to install the newest version. It won't install. Sorry I don't have the exact error essage but I believe it was trial license related.

It's all uninstalled but I wanted to get their Remover downloaded to make sure, and the system won't let me.

I just noticed that there are 2 instances of AVG-Secure-Search-Update-0516tb runnng in task manager.

I'll try and get that remover again and see if I can get those removed.

However, at that time I noticed 5 or 6 instances of conhost.exe running.

Stopping those tasks helped a lot as the laptop is running a bit better now, but I did an MBAM free scan just to be sure.

There were no threats found.

So, I am looking for guidance for more scans and removal.

Thanks very much for any help.

So, I suspect there may still be somehting

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dodgechargerfan

dodgechargerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Regarding the AVG Remover: I had tried to download it with Chrome and it didn't work.

I just tried it with MS Edge and it downloaded fine.

#3 dodgechargerfan

dodgechargerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I sorted it with the conhost removal and a few more scans.

We can close this thread.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users