Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Many Folder together

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poiu2010

poiu2010

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

is there anyway to merge about 2000 folder in 1 folder !
i rly need it ASAP !
and thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

My guess is that the ROBOCOPY command will fill the bill with the appropriate switches and wildcards.

Do a web search as it's not possible to give any sort of short synopsis that's useful here, and the command is well documented with many tutorials and examples.  I've written about it on BC in the past for this sort of thing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

You need to first copy or move all 2000 folders into one folder. This will be your root folder. Create another empty folder for the merged contents. This will be your destination folder. The utility will take the contents of the 2000 folders and merge then into the folder you created.

I have not used this software and supposedly it will rename duplicate files so that is something you may want to consider. It may not work on Windows 10. You can also filter by file extension.

http://2xdsoft.de.tl/FolderMerger.htm

#4 poiu2010

poiu2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

You need to first copy or move all 2000 folders into one folder. This will be your root folder. Create another empty folder for the merged contents. This will be your destination folder. The utility will take the contents of the 2000 folders and merge then into the folder you created.

I have not used this software and supposedly it will rename duplicate files so that is something you may want to consider. It may not work on Windows 10. You can also filter by file extension.

http://2xdsoft.de.tl/FolderMerger.htm

okay i will try it and i will tell u the result..

My guess is that the ROBOCOPY command will fill the bill with the appropriate switches and wildcards.

Do a web search as it's not possible to give any sort of short synopsis that's useful here, and the command is well documented with many tutorials and examples.  I've written about it on BC in the past for this sort of thing.

any links for help !

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

How the hell are modern OSs usually over 1 Gygabyte big in size, yet fail to have something as usual as this operation implemented in them!? What are programmers doing all this time, developing emojis or what? Jesus! :lmao:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

How the hell are modern OSs usually over 1 Gygabyte big in size, yet fail to have something as usual as this operation implemented in them!? 

I would say that the reverse, splitting thousands of files that were thrown without much thought into a single folder into a logical folder structure is a far more common need.  That being said, others have needed to do what's been asked about.

I don't know what's so difficult for some about doing a web search when directed to do so, but see, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=robocopy+examples&t=ha&atb=v33-7__&ia=web, for more examples than you can ever read through.

This particular article, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8690245/robocopy-copy-folders-content-to-a-single-folder, covers using scripts in regular command prompt plus alternate methods in Power Shell for doing what was originally asked about.

Edited by britechguy, 04 April 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

I see.
BTW, I love that pretty much everybody has agreed to using Google search engine and you are in the fewer than 1% people who use DuckDuckGo!

Edited by Just_One_Question, 05 April 2017 - 05:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users