Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with a weird and erattic cursor/mouse.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 how_word

how_word

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

The cursor seems to be fine right after I restart the computer. But soon after, and especiallywhen I connect to Google on the internet, the cursor starts to snag. I usually have several windows open on my screen, like a couple of wordpad pages (to drag and drop from Firefox, and a Firefox window or two which I size down so I can flip back and forth between pages). By snag, I mean, when I use the mouse to direct the cursor across the screen, it will want to open a file on the desktop, or if the FireFox browser is open, like in a Google search, it will stop, for a second or freeze on a hotlink. When it freezes I usually can unsnag it.

First I will try to wave the mouse back and forth. But when I do that, sometimes the cursor goes on a bizarre journey, as if possessed. It will open files and opens the start menu and somehow opens a command window I am unfamiliar with. (microsoft managment counsol?) It really looks like a virus or trojan has taken control of my computer, but it could just be that the mouse is going flip-shoobie and tapping onto everything in it's path like a tornado turning over cars. But it happens so fast it's like a remote computer is driving my cursor.

Often when cursor freezes, only using the up-down-left-right arrows on my keyboard will free it. Or even tapping the mouse, like when I have a WordPad page open, taking notes, and a browser window open, and I try to move the cursor over to the browser window, It will stick somewhere in mid motion. If I tap the cursor, say and it is over the browser window, then the browser comes to the for front and the Wordpad page drops behind and I can move the mouse again.

Often after a period of the above type of action, the cursor will freeze completely, and none of the above actions will free it. I will try "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" and the cursor remains frozen when that command page opens. I can use the keyboard, to try to open the Task Manager. And then maneuver the ghost cursor with my keyboard up down arrows to Start > shut down.

The other day I was frustrated and did a cold reboot (manually turning off the computer) it rebooted to "failure configuring windows Updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer, preparing to configure windows" But after 8 hours of spinning it's wheels and not starting I did a cold boot again. Then I found a suggest to tap F11 at start up and after about 30 min of the above message, the computer somehow started up again.

And like I wrote, the cursor is good for a few minutes then gets sticky again.
This has been happening more and more often, and to greater and greater degrees of sticking -if there is such a thing. Basically, in the past I had to restart my computer once a month because of this cursor sticking thing, then once a week, now it is daily, or even two, three, 4 times a day. I guess the reason I haven't asked for help before is because, oddly, sometimes after a restart the cursor goes completely back to normal, and will be that way for days until the freeze behavior starts up again.

The problem of a completely froze/unresponsive cursor seems to happen mostly when I have any of Google's pages open, Google search, Youtube or Gmail.

The cursor always seems to stop at the same spot on the screen, I can't be certain it is the exact same spot, but pretty darn close. That might be a coincidence.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

My guess would be new mouse...or use of a mouse if system has touchpad.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#3 how_word

how_word
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

Thank you Louis,

It isn't a new mouse, I've had this mouse since I purchased the computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Buy, steal, obtain any way possible...a new mouse.

Louis

#5 how_word

how_word
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

hamluis, I think you were way off on this one :(.

I did not take your advise, but rather tried in what ever means to clean my computer's system. After several attempts, the erratic behavior stopped completely, and mouse movement went back to normal, a-okay.

I also have been running CCleaner (free) on a regular basis, perhaps 2 or 3 times a day. Which seemed to contain the problem.

But then I had another mouse freeze (this always seems to happen when I am making notations on Wordpad and have a browser site open that draws a lot of cpu, like youtube or eBay, or other times with cpu is maxed. 

After a cold reboot, I used adwcleaner, it found a folder, C:\Users\JJJ\AppData\LocalLow\HPAppData (I am assuming this had to do with an HP printer connected to the computer? Anyway, after adwcleaner removed it and restarted the computer, my mouse is back to working perfectly again. And I am back to using CCleaner on a 2x daily basis. Another thing I found is that after using CCleaner, I am unable to use TCF (Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) without my computer registering a foul and automatically restarting, a problem that happened almost every time I used TCF in the past.

I am very grateful for your concern and help, Louis, but only glad that I found a way to fix the computer without having to set up a new mouse and thought this info may help another user in the future.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Well...glad you resolved it, using applications that neutralize malware/adware/spyware, etc.

We don't claim, in this forum, to deal with those types of issues...and your solution probably would not have been suggested by anyone in this forum.  We tend to confine ourselves to situations appearing to be O/S or Win 7 issues.

If something similar occurs again...I suggest that you post the apparent issues in the BC Am I Infected forum.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

ya i'm thinking mouse is bad.  you can get a 10 dollar laser mouse.  screw the "extra software drivers".  don't install software unless you ABSOLUTELY need to...

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

A USB mouse is a plug and play device.  When it is inserted in a USB port Windows will recognize it as 'New Hardware" and will automatically assign a compatible driver for the mouse.  The exception would be a few of the "gaming mice" with extra features.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 how_word

how_word
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

I want to thank everyone. I do feel a little dumb in this area. I didn't want to install software for a mouse, but what I did do, finally, was to search for the exact same mouse on eBay. I found a reconditioned on and replaced the old one. No new software needed. @hamluis was right with his first answer, I needed a new mouse.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Vindication...when it comes...is good :).

Thanks for letting us know that your issues have been resolved...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users