Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows explorerrunning slow and using too much cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshteich123

joshteich123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hello my name is Josh,
My computer has the following issue,
When i scroll through files in windows explorer it runs very slow and the cpu usage for explorer spikes. This problem occurs 
when i run windows in safe mode also.
I used sysinternals process explorer and found that the following thread is what's overusing the cpu

SHCORE.dll!SHReleaseThreadRef+0x90

Thank You

I also attached a screenshot of the problematic thread selected and it's thread stack opened in process explorer.

Attached File  problem thread.jpg   67.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  thread stack.jpg   45.58KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:07 AM

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please right click the Windows logo (formerly the start button) at the bottom left of your screen.
  • Please select  "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow  (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
  • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
  • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
  • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
  • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately.  I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
  • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file

Posted Image

#3 joshteich123

joshteich123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

First of all thank you very much for taking time to help me out.

I ran the scan as you told me three times with rebooting in between and all three tomes it came up with the following message: 
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable  to fix some of them.....

Here's a screenshot of the command prompt,
Attached File  scannow results.jpg   43.54KB   0 downloads

It looks like the scan may have fixed the problem because so far windows explorer is running fine.

I did copy the cbs.log file immediately after the third scan and I could upload it.

Again thank you for your help.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Please execute below command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After above command finish execute below command to make sure corrupted system files are repaired.

Sfc /Scannow

Posted Image

#5 joshteich123

joshteich123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

I ran the restore command and then the scan as you said and this time the scan showed that there are no errors.
Also the issue has not occurred again.

Thanks so much for your help.

Here are the results:

Attached File  restore and scan results.jpg   48.16KB   0 downloads

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

You are very welcome!