Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't sign on to new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tammyg

Tammyg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Ok, here's my problem. I just purchased a Dell XPS 8910 Tower (Intel i5, 8GB, 1TB). All I did was take it out of the box sign on, create PW, etc. and then looked over some emails and watched an episode of Thrones. That was Sunday. Monday morning before work I tried to get on, and it keeps saying "incorrect password". It showed the PW "hint", and I know I am using the correct PW. I've tried different combinations of the PW so many times, and I just can't get in.

Read this method somewhere online -   click "Cortana", search for "user accts" and open, click mng another acct link, select "my account, then click "change PW". Sounded real simple, even for a tech dummie like me! But when I got home and attempted this it wasn't the case.  when the screen comes on, U cannot access the search box/Cortana in the lower left corner!  The only thing on the screen is the field to enter my password and in the lower right corner, 3 icons - shut down/sleep, wifi connection, and contrast, brightness etc. controls.

I have tried to do some research on my own on how to recover my PW, but I don't even know if I used a local account or Microsoft acct to sign on. 

I know if anyone reads this or is reading this now, you have to be laughing hysterically and I can't blame you. 

Can anyone help me? Please?  Would be so appreciated as my grandson is coming over this weekend and, well, he likes to play his games.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

Without knowing your password it is difficult to say exactly what the issue is.  However, here are some things you can try.

Turn CAP Locks on or off and type your password.

Turn Num Lock on or off and type your password if it includes numbers and you use the keypad instead of the numbers above the letters.

If your password has number enter them with the numbers above the letters and not the keypad.

Normally it is something simple like CAP Locks was on or Num Lock was off when you entered your password.

#3 Tammyg

Tammyg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Kilroy but yes, tried all of that. I think I need to reinstall Windows 10!  I think with step by step directions I can manage it, just don't want to do any damage. As I mentioned, I  just purchased it a couple days ago. G ood thing is I haven't saved or installed anything except anti virus, lol.

Thanks for reply though!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

See this guide. Hold the shift button while clicking restart. Get to the Command Prompt option. At the command prompt type

net user administrator /active:yes

If it completes successfully you should now have an account called Administrator at the login screen. Through that you may be able to reset your password.

Was this password for a local account or did you create the password from a Microsoft Live Account?

#5 Tammyg

Tammyg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

hi, yes it is for a local account. I am at work right now, but when I get home I will try your suggestion. I no nothing about computers except the basic surfing and downloading, but I can follow clearly written steo by step instructions.

did some research on Microsoft support site and tried the following:

1. Start your PC and select the Power  icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the lock screen.
  2. While holding down the Shift key, select Restart.
  3. On the Boot options menu, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
  4. Your PC will restart and will reset itself.

But it did not work.

I then called one support, paid $99 and they walked me thru the method I already tried above!!  They suggested hitting f11 while the puter boots, and same with F1 - neither worked!

Also found a method to download windows to a flash drive and reinstall windows. I am going to do that on my work puter and try that also

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Another option is to download the Lazesoft Rescue Disk Home Edition and reset your local password.

Run it on another computer to create the bootable media.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Video showing it's use on Windows 7.

Edit: Video on Windows 10   Edit: link on page is for Lazesoft Recover My Password  but video shows Lazesoft Recovery Suite.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 April 2017 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users